Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Default Vision in a week
My family and I are fianlly going on our first cruise - as paying guests that is. We are very excited and planning to go all the way on formal nights with my tux (finally an occasion to wear it) and a long gown for my wife (she hasn't wore anything like that since she was cruise staff with NCL ten years ago )

The Vision is doing a Baltic 7 night cruise - departs from Oslo and ends up in Stockholm a week later.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:38 PM

Have a great time, Svein! I'd love to hear your thoughts about being on the other side of the desk. No sneaking into the engine room!!
Old 07-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
Have a great time, Svein! I'd love to hear your thoughts about being on the other side of the desk. No sneaking into the engine room!!
No worries, Sandy My only fear is that I'm going to worry about the breathalizer test if I have a glass of wine or a drink
Old 07-02-2011, 02:49 PM

Wow, Svein, I can't wait to hear your perspective on cruising as a passenger. I sure hope you can relax and enjoy it.

Have a great trip,

Brad

Old 07-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Have a great time, Svein! You won't be driving the ship this time so enjoy!

Please let us know how it went. As Brad says, you will have a unique perspective to share.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:30 PM

You and your wife can have some drinks and not be thrown off the ship. Being a paying passenger has its advantages.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
You and your wife can have some drinks and not be thrown off the ship. Being a paying passenger has its advantages.
Speaking of which - RCCL keep offering us to order the wine package in advance. What is your view on this?

When it comes to the ports, the ship calls at Copenhagen, Riga, St Petersburg, Helsinki and ends up in Stockholm.

We've been to Copenhagen so many times before, so there we're just taking our son to the Zoo on our own. In Riga I guess the old town needs to be seen. The only shore ex I've ordered so far is the canal cruise and shopping in St Petersburg. Since neither of us have a russian visa we need to be in a RCCL tour to be able to go ashore there.

In Helsinki I really don't know what to do, but I guess shopping would be an option.

Thank you all for nice comments. Cruising is really hitting off as a vacation form over here in Northern Europe
Old 07-03-2011, 09:43 AM

I don't know if it would be different for non-US citizens, but in Russia if you take a tour with a Russian approved tour operator they provide the visa. I took a 2-day tour in St Petersburg with Denrus. Red October is also another approved tour operator. In Helsinki I walked the length of the shopping area and toward the end is a big flea market. Near there, is the harbor and you can get tickets to take a boat tour of the harbor and see historical sites. There's also a beautiful Russian Orthodox church you can walk up to and see. Helsinki also has hop on/off bus.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svein View Post
Speaking of which - RCCL keep offering us to order the wine package in advance. What is your view on this?
The price will be the same if you buy it on the ship. I'd wait so you can look more closely at the choices. We bought the Gold package on the Allure, mostly as an impulse purchase. If I had it to do over again I'd skip it and just buy wine by the bottle since you have more choices that way. The package locks you into specific wines.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The price will be the same if you buy it on the ship. I'd wait so you can look more closely at the choices. We bought the Gold package on the Allure, mostly as an impulse purchase. If I had it to do over again I'd skip it and just buy wine by the bottle since you have more choices that way. The package locks you into specific wines.
Ok, Dave, you're right. It's much better to decide when you sit down at the table.

Closed Thread

Tags
day, package, petersburgh, rccl, review, st, tour