Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 06:17 PM

Default Carnival vs Royal Caribbean
Good Evening!!
I am 23 and my boyfriend is 24 and we are trying to plan a cruise trip. Let me first state that my family and I are from the caribbean so the ports of call are not as important to me (but they are to my boyfriend since he has never been out of the country). However, I have never been to Nassau as an adult and that is where we are planning on going.

Now the cruises I have found are comparable in price and duration, but what I am mainly concerned with is the atmosphere on the ships. I have only been on the Discovery day cruise to go to Freeport Bahamas to visit family, so I have no idea what to expect on an overnight cruise

Since we are still young...we are still in that drinking/partying stage (but not excessively). We don't mind kids or the older crowd but what do you guys suggest for someone our age? I know everyones experience is difference but I would like just a little advice because we are having a hard time choosing between the two because they are so similar in price/duration/ports of call

whats the nightlife/bars/lounges/pool like on carnival vs royal caribbean.

Thanks!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:17 PM

It would help if you told us what ships you're looking at. Since you only mentioned going to Nassau, it sounds like you're looking at a short cruise. Which if that's the case both cruise lines use their older ships. The cruise experience will be quite similar on those ships. However; if you're looking at the larger newer ships then there's bigger differences. Please give us more information.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:39 AM

Welcome!

Based on my experiences on both cruise lines, it sounds like, given your ages, that Carnival might be closer to meeting your expectations. Both cruise lines have many similarities, but it does seem to me that the average age of any given Carnival passenger is younger than the run-of-the mill Royal Caribbean passenger. I am 41 and my wife is 38 and we seem to fit in pretty well on Royal Caribbean and we do seem a bit older than average on Carnival, although that has never been a problem in any way.

Both cruise lines offer nightclubs on their ships with your typical dancing, etc and both have plenty of drinking venues on board as well. The activities between the two lines are very similar and I have had just as much fun on one line as the other.

If the ages of your fellow passengers don't really matter to you, then I would suggest picking the cruise line with the ship that you like best.

The bottom line is that you really can't go wrong for this particular itinerary (the Bahamas), especially since you really don't have any frame of reference.

Again, this is just my opinion, and I'm sure some folks with disagree with me.

Good luck,

Brad

Old 07-22-2011, 05:11 AM

I agree with Wheels. All things being equal (ports, price, etc), I think you'll find more 20-somethings on Carnival than any other cruise line. But you can't go wrong either way, especially on a 3 or 4 night cruise.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:30 AM

I agree with Brad and Sandy, too. Let me throw another suggestion in, NCL I'm in my 50s and my hubby's in his 60s, however, for the shorter cruises, all of these lines seem to have a great mix of age groups. They all offer good clubs/dancing/activities. We still enjoy having fun, and we've always had a good time on any of these lines. The shorter cruises tend to have younger crowds, so I think you'll be able to have a great time on any of them.

Let us know what you decide!
Old 07-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Our first Carnival cruise is next month and I am very interested to see the difference.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:05 PM

Just my opinion and everyone has their own but this is a no brainer. I have been on both Carnival and Royal Caribbean and hands down Royal Caribbean is the best. Better food, better entertainment, better rooms. Don't get me wrong, we cruise in both of them. Just went on a carnival cruise last month but we love Royal Caribbean and have never been disappointed with them. Can't wait for the Allure in October!!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:03 AM

thank you for the feedback!! I apologize for the lack of information. I was looking at Carnival Imagination or Royal Caribbean (I forgot the name but it is comparable to the imagination).

It seems like everyone had a great time on both ships!! I think I may go with Carnival for my first cruise and let everyone know how it went. I'm a little nervous I hope everything goes smoothly

Once again thank you for your feedback!
Old 08-13-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417rogers View Post
Our first Carnival cruise is next month and I am very interested to see the difference.
417rogers, I hope you'll let us know how that goes. I'm considering sailing the Carnival Dream for my next cruise. I'm in my late 20s, and all of my prior cruises have been on Royal Caribbean, which I loved.

Even though Royal Caribbean usually attracts an older crowd, I didn't have any problems fitting in, so to speak. I know Carnival is usually a younger crowd than Royal Caribbean.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 08-13-2011, 01:38 PM

Carnival and Royal Caribbean's age demographics are very similar.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carnival, carribean, celebrity, compared, cruise, cruises, expect, international, night, rate, reviews, royal, ships, versus, vs