Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   Freedom Of The Seas Encounters Rough Seas, High Winds (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/37544-freedom-seas-encounters-rough-seas-high-winds.html)

Dave 10-10-2011 09:16 AM

Freedom Of The Seas Encounters Rough Seas, High Winds

Media reports state that Freedom Of The Seas encountered unanticipated high winds and seas as the ship left Port Canaveral over the weekend. These were the result of a developing storm in the Florida/Bahamas area.

Reports are that winds were three times higher than forecast and seas were in the 18-20 foot range. Some damage occurred in public areas and cabins. Elevators were off-line for a time and passengers were ordered to stay in their cabins. Some minor injuries were reported.

According to RCI the ship will continue on it's scheduled itinerary.

Dave Knott 10-12-2011 07:56 AM

Rough Seas

Would like to see any pictures.

penny3333 10-12-2011 10:32 AM

I also read that they had some minor injuries and that there were a lot of broken bottles of alcohol in the shop.

electech 10-14-2011 11:49 AM

A co-worker of mine just got off the Freedom on the previous cruise and said they encountered very rough conditions coming in. Most folks were staying in their cabins, so its not like they had no clue. One would have thought they could have gotten an up to date report somehow before pulling back out.

Cruise Fanatic 10-14-2011 04:53 PM

I just returned a few hours ago from the 4-nt Monarch of the Seas. When we left Port Canaveral Monday it was sunny and beautiful. That night was a little rocky, but not bad. I've had worse. The rest of the week was absolutely beautiful. Yesterday was a day at sea coming back from Nassau. It was a sunny day and the sea was so smooth. The ship seemed like it was barely moving. I had heard reports before I left that the weather was going to be bad. It couldn't have been more perfect.

MCPayne 10-26-2011 07:14 PM

Wow, that seems rougher than when I was on the Freedom back in October of 2010, right around the same time. Only that time, we were sailing from Grand Cayman to Cozumel. If I'm counting right, I think that was day 5 of a 7 day cruise, on the Western Caribbean itinerary.

We actually skipped Grand Cayman due to bad weather. We were in the harbor, seeing if we could get in, and I went up to the Windjammer for breakfast. I saw it was dark, windy, and rainy, and thought "Oh, this can't be good." Sure enough, it was deemed too dangerous for the tenders to run, and Grand Cayman closed the port, so we had a day at sea.

Cruise Fanatic 10-27-2011 05:21 AM

That first night out of Port Canaveral to Bahamas is typically always rough.