Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 01:37 PM

Default Bumped from Coco Cay
We went on our first cruise to the Caribbean but were unable to stop at our regularly scheduled Cocoa Cay. We were given the excuse that the ocean was too rough, and spent the day at sea. After arriving back in Florida we heard that we were bumped so another ship could dock there that was unable to go to their destination! Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited by Thomcachers; 11-07-2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Clarified
Old 11-07-2011, 01:47 PM
I've not heard of a situation exactly like this; but if another ship had a mechanical problem and was not able to continue on, I can see it being given dock priority. Rough seas are also reason to skip a port. I'm sorry you missed your port and I'm sorry you were given conflicting excuses.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Welcome to Cruise Reviews.

There is no dock at Coco Cay. It is a tendering stop. Sea swells are a problem from time-to-time at Coco Cay which makes tendering the passengers ashore too dangerous. The cruise line isn't going to bump one ship just to make room for another. Why would they do that? In the end one ship still didn't get all their ports. The cruise line was being truthful to you.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:14 AM
Cool Bumped
As Dave said, there is no dock at Coco Cay. Those little tender boats can get bounced around fairly easily, and if they are loaded with people, someone could get hurt. ANY cruise line is not going to intentionally put it's passangers in danger-ships sometimes miss ports, and it is usually because of some sort of weather problem. When you book your next cruise, see if you can stop at Labadee, a similiar type port, but much nicer by far. After several stops at Labadee, Coco Cay didn't measure up to our liking. Sorry for the inconvience (sp), but it was for the best. How was the rest of the cruise?

Need some cruise help?
Old 11-08-2011, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Plus Labadee has a dock.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:58 AM

Default Rest of trip
The rest of the trip was great. In Nassau we went to the Atlantis resort and spent the afternoon floating on their man made river. I did a little snorkling in the cove there as well.

The food and staff were awesome! I have not dared look at the scale yet.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Administrator

I agree Jim, Coco Cay pales in comparison to Labadee. I doubt they'll ever put a pier at Coco Cay. It may not be geologically possible.

I recall two times where the swells there caused problems for us. Both times it was fine in the morning when we left, but then things deteriorated during the day and getting back on the ship was hairy, with the tender bouncing up and down at least 18 to 24 inches at the gangway platform. The crew had to time it just right and literally pull passengers off the tender on the up swing.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:09 AM
Cool Bumped
Tendering never really bothered me-Coco Cay does appear that when the ship stops, it's in the open ocean, so swells can be a real problem for the little boats. Coco Cay just seemed to be overwhelmed when we got there on Freedom-the swimming area couldn't have cramed in another lounge chair (I didn't realize that 2500 people could fit around such a small beach), and the people who paid to snorkle had to do so in the swimming area, so they got to see lots of people feet. Labadee has become well built up, and seems to have lost a little of it's charm, but it still is miles better than Coco Cay.

Need some cruise help?
Old 11-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Coco Cay is simply too small for anything larger than the Vision class. RCI bought the island when a 2000 passenger ship was considered humongous.

I'll be there in three weeks aboard the Liberty. I guess I'll see first-hand how crowded it gets, assuming we don't encounter sea swells. Although I'm just as likely to remain aboard.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:57 PM

I just returned from the NCL GEM. We couldn't make our call Wednesday into Great Stirrup Cay because of the swells. GSC is very close to Cocoa Cay.

Closed Thread

Tags
2011, bumped, cay, coco, cococay, december, forum, hairy, labadee, majesty, rough, seas, stop, tender, times, tips, weather