Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 06:55 AM

Default New cruiser leaving in 11 day with questions!
Hello!

I know if I researched long enough I could probably come up with 100 answers to these questions but I feel overloaded with information and thought that i'd just post on here and ask everything that I am searching answers for. My boyfriend and I are cruising for the first time ever on Royal Caribbean majesty of the seas. We chose my time dining and am wondering if someone has recommendations on what dining times to choose? I wanted to get on the boat and see what the list of daily activities is before I made reservations. We usually eat around 6pm but I dont want to miss out on any activities on the ship. Do the activities/shows/bingo/themes nights usually happen later on in the evening so a 6pm dinner time wouldn't really interrupt them?

Also, we definately want to go snorkeling and aren't too sure which way to go about it. We will be in Cococay and Nassau and don't know if we should just bring our own snorkel equipment with us and do it on our own or buy an excursion. In Nassau we are considering doing the Rainbow Reef Snorkel Tour or the At your leisure snorking in Cococay. Both cost $29 and I am not even sure where it's better to snorkel either in Nassau or Cococay. I am nervous to prebook this excursion when I have no idea what the weather is even going to be like but they keep pushing that they will sell out. Would it be better just to venture out on our own and snorkel at the beach close to Atlantis that I heard people talking about? Do I actually have to pay for beach access/passes or are the beaches free and when you pay you are just getting a tour? Do we bring our own towels from home or just bring ones off the cruise ship to use on the beaches? Im also wondering what is one supposed to do with their purse is they book something like the Rainbow Reef snorkel tour? I am terrified of the water but my boyfriend is forcing me to try out snorkeling somewhere cool so I just want to make sure that If I book something its going to be worthwhile.

We are docking in Nassau at 1pm and will not be leaving until midnight that night. I wanted to venture out during the day and then after dinner go back out to a place like senor Frogs or something like that. Is it ok to go on and off the ship more than once, in the same port? As long as you make it back at least 30minutes before departing?

Any alcohol tips for when we are onboard so we don't get charged an arm and a leg? We are wine drinkers.

I heard to photocopy your passport and take that with you while you are in ports (leaving your originial locked up on the ship). Is this enough to get you on and off the boat?

They clearly state that no alcoholic or nonalcoholic drinks should be brought on board but I read somewhere that packing a case of water isnt a big deal. Thoughts?

I'm also planning on just bringing US currency. Is there anything else that I should plan on bringing for the ports? Any cool restaurants/bars or beaches that you recommend in Key West, Nassau or Cococay?

We were also considering buying the package for the Aqua park/Waterslide in Cococay because it sounded fun but were wondering if anyone thought it was a waste on money?

Thank you soooo much for any tips that you may respond with! This is just a new experience for us and we want to be as prepared as we can. We leave in 11 days!

Last edited by hockeyfan19; 12-08-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:11 AM

HockeyFan, you're in for such a great time! Just a note that if the "19" in your name means you're 19 years old, I hope your boyfriend is at least 21, according to the cruise line's rules. If the 19 means something else, sorry!
You won't miss anything if you eat dinner around 6pm. The main show is done twice each evening, to make sure people who eat early and those who eat later all have a chance to see it. Activities go on all through the evening, so everyone can participate. You can reserve a dinner time each day, and also tell them if you prefer a table for 2, 4, 6 or 8. Or you can reserve the same time for each evening the first time you talk to them, or you can just go to the dining room when you get hungry each evening, and wait to be seated.
I'm not too familiar with snorkel tours, but you can bring your own equipment if you plan to do your own thing, or use the tour's equipment if you book a tour. Someone else should be able to make more specific comments about where is best to snorkel. The ship provides beach towels. Leave valuables behind and just take what you need for the day off the ship.
There are wine packages you can buy in advance that may save a few dollars over buying wine by the bottle. Here is some information about wine packages.
You can go on and off the ship as many times as you'd like in port.
Photocopying the picture page of your passport is a good idea. You must always take with you your ship's ID card as well. This card serves as your room key, your onboard credit card, and your boarding pass. When you check in for your cruise, you both will be issued your cards, which you will need each time you board the ship.
We encourage everyone to abide by the rules regarding not bringing bottles of anything onboard with you.
You just need US currency and a credit card. When you check in, they'll take your credit card information. At the end of the cruise, you do have the option of settling your bill in cash if you do not want the charges sent to your credit card company. You and your boyfriend can use separate credit cards if you want.

Have a great time! Come back and tell us how you enjoyed it.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:49 PM

Default Thank you!
Thanks Sandy for the response! Don't worry....I am pushing 30

I really appreciate the advice and would love to hear from anyone else about snorkeling excursions....if anyone else has advice on it. Thanks!
Old 12-09-2011, 03:04 AM
Hi,
skip the water park & slide...unless your talking about going to Atlantis. More importantly this being your first cruise.....Majesty is a fine ship. Make sure you try and make the Love & Marriage game show and "The Quest". Both are a blast. Wish I could write more but have to go to work right now....will try and update
Old 12-09-2011, 05:14 AM

Thank you! I will take your advice and do so!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:07 PM

A few thoughts. It's been a while since I've been to Coco Cay, but it was always a favorite shore stop. If you have your own snorkeling equip. and it's easy to take, then it is a great place to free snorkel. That is what we have done in the past. If you opt to book a snorkeling tour you can still use your own equipment. We do that as ours is better equipment and it is nice to know you are the only one who ever put that snorkel in your mouth.
As for taking on water, RCCL sort of frowns on that now. My wife needs Smart Water for the mineral properties and we had no problem taking it on, but they sure scoured the bottles for evidence of tampering to be sure they hadn't been opened and replaced with alcohol. But they did let her bring the water on board. We were on Allure in Sept. out of Ft. Lauderdale. Don't know if other ports are the same. But RCCL is pretty much sticklers about bringing stuff on board due to problems in the past. So it really isn't worth trying to sneak anything on. We drink bottles of water so it is worth bringing a case on for a weeks cruise. If they don't let it on it's not like it was much of an investment since a case of water at Wal Mart is only a few bucks.
As for Nassau, if you want to snorkel, I'd recommend a tour since they will take you to some good spots.
Have fun. Cruising is FANTASTIC. We began in 1998 and are addicted. Love RCCL. Did Allure in Sep. doing Freedom for New Years, and Voyager in Feb. Just can't get enough. Have a great time!
Old 12-12-2011, 08:44 AM

Thank you for the advice!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:24 AM

You will love it!! Majesty was our first cruise in 2007 and we had a great time! We've actually been on Majesty 3 times now. Definitely go on a tour of Atlantis in Nassau...there's not really too much else in Nassau to see. We (my husband and I, late 20's) didn't enjoy Nassau except for Atlantis don't even plan to get off the ship there on our next cruise (Nov 2012). Cococay was fun...if you have good weather. Our last cruise was the first week of January 2011 and it wasn't very warm. It was also very windy. We didn't even get to go to Cococay due to weather, so be prepared- that might happen. Also make sure you take jeans and a sweatshirt just in case.

Have a great time!!

Majesty of the Seas - Jan. 2011
Majesty of the Seas - Feb. 2009
Sovereign of the Seas - Feb. 2008
Majesty of the Seas - Nov. 2007
Old 12-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Hockeyfan19......Senor Frog's is conveniently located just off the pier to the right...just a short walk but those beverages are quite potent....make sure you allow plenty of time to return to your ship. We just did Nassau two weeks ago and had a blast.....the island tour is very enlightening!! Relax...Enjoy!!

Bon Voyage and...Happy Holidays!!

BillyBuzzy
Old 12-21-2011, 06:15 AM

Smile
Hi hockeyfan19, we have been on Majesty a couple of years ago and enjoyed this ship very much.
We have also been to Atlantis and did the tour and the acquarium and it was very, very nice.

Have a great time and enjoy the ship and the islands.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
1pm, 2011, 2oth, bring, cococay, cruise, december, decembrr, docked, gear, msny, naryland, nassau, oasis, seas, ships, snorkel, worthwhile