Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 09:18 AM

Default Rip off prices explorer of the seas
RECENTLY RETURNED FROM A CRUISE WITH ROYAL CARIBBEAN
third time crusing first and last with Royal Caribbean
be warned regarding prices of trips & drinks
cabin drinks mini bar price menu badly worded be warned
on shore trips well over priced pre book on line with local companies save a fortune
If you think you might need cough medicine take with you $!7 on board in gift shop uk shop price approx $5
Old 12-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Hi Peter, welcome to Cruise Chat.
Like you I am from the Uk and I was wondering if your 2 previous cruises were with the British cruise lines Thomson or P&O.
You might consider the prices asked for by Royal Caribbean to be a rip off but at the same time there are many cruisers happy to pay the prices asked for. I like you find the prices to be a bit on the high side but if I don't like the prices then I'm not forced to buy anything.
Excursions always seem to me to be quite expensive but the one thing they do safeguard is that if they get delayed the ship won't sail until the passengers on an official excursion return.
AsI said above, there seem to be lots of people who pay for excursions and several of the excursions get fully booked so if they felt they were getting ripped off then the excusions wouldn't sell.
I agree with you that bar prices are a bit high and I dislike the compulsary 15% service charge on every drink, BUT remember you are on holiday ( vacation to Americans reading this ) so enjoy it.
So far you post has been more on the negative side so how about also telling us about the things you did enjoy.Did you enjoy the food in the main dining room ? How did you like the entertainment. What made the first 2 cruises more special ?
Old 12-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Wink
I love RC cruise line. I have cruise 8 times and next June going again wit Oasis of the Sea. I never have any complaine and all my family share same experiance.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:18 AM

Wow, imagine that, another uninformed drive-by poster!

I am sorry that you feel that you were ripped off, but you could have researched the cost of everything on the internet before you booked, or went on your cruise.

If things seem too expensive then you have no one else to blame but yourself. I have been on numerous RC cruises and have always had a wonderful experience, but of course, I always knew what I was getting into.

What about all of the wonderful food and entertainment that was included in your cruise fare? Do they not count for anything? Did someone force you to go on an official excursion? Did RC hide the price from you somehow when you booked it?

I guess that in the end, cruising just isn't for everyone.

Have a nice day!

Brad

Old 12-14-2011, 06:01 AM

Explorer of the Seas; one of my favorite ships, wish I were on there right now paying those prices. I do agree, read about what is offered and check around for prices; I will always be happy to pay the prices for "Happy Hours" as I am on vacation and know what to expect. We still do both on and off ship excursions depending on what it is we want to do and what we read from cruisers on this site. Perhaps this person is more in line with being at an all inclusive.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-15-2011, 03:36 PM
I just returned from a 7 day, not on Royal Caribbean, but on HAL. My total bill for the week, after "Hotel Service Charge" was $53 US. This included cocktails for two everyday. It's what you make it . . . It would have been higher if an excursion didn't get canceled... but, there ya go.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Administrator

I don't think it is unreasonable for cough syrup to cost $7 on the ship as opposed to $5 at a UK pharmacy. Apples and oranges, plus a little profit. A cruise ship can't have a large inventory of the syrup, plus they are not in the business of selling medicines which means their wholesale price is probably higher. Convenience costs. I paid $5 for a very small Mennen deodorant stick at my Hilton hotel on November 30. One three times the size would cost me $3 at Wal-mart. But, I needed it and it was right there in the lobby.

It is unreasonable to expect day-to-day living prices as you have at home, while on a vacation on ship or at a resort.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Administrator

You don't want to know what I spent on a toothbrush at a Hilton last night...

Closed Thread

Tags
2011, caribbean, cost, cruise, drinks, excursions, expensive, explorer, exployer, forums, internet, oasis, prices, reviews, royal, seas