Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 03:14 PM

Default What's wrong with this picture?
It just seems wrong to me that Royal Caribbean is offering Florida residents balconies on the Allure for $260 less than residents of other states. The way I see it is the majority of people outside of Florida will have the added expense of flying. The majority of Florida residents won't have that added expense. So can't they at least pay the normal rate everyone has too? It just seems wrong to me, or else I'm just jealous I'm not a Florida resident.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:45 PM
I agree with you, Cruise Fanatic, that it just dosen't seem right; but could it be that sales are sluggish and they have found they get better results by stimulating local sales? I know that $260 wouldn't have much effect on me one way or the other if I was going to fly cross-country. I know Carnival does something similar from time to time: lower prices for California residents sailing out of Long Beach. Dropping the cruise price a couple of hundred probably isn't going to convince somebody from back East to book if they weren't already planning to; but it makes it very attractive to locals.

Just thinking out loud :-)
Old 12-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Is that for any balcony, or just the less desirable 'inside' balcony cabins? I think they realized too late that the Boardwalk and Central Park balconies have a lot of negatives.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:30 PM

F-Mattox, I don't think it's because of sluggish sales. The majority of the ship is sold out. I guess they're trying to fill what's left. This is the Allure on 21 Jan and the Oasis which leaves on the 20th appears to be sold out.

Dave, I didn't pay attention earlier but the $260 is for Central Park Balconies. The Boardwalk balconies are $320 less for Florida residents.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Administrator

I think they often have a problem filling those inside balconies. I'd never book one. No privacy and too much noise from below. But regardless, it is annoying that they'd undercut the price like that, and for just Florida residents.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:52 AM

With the sailing being nearly three weeks out, this doesn't surprise or baffle me at all. Apparently they are late selling the ship out. What better way to fill the ship than offer Florida Residents a Discount, who are more likely to book at a late date. It's a common practice in the Cruise Industry to do these types of sales and promotions according to geography and past demographics. I don't think they even consider whether it's fair or not to other people booking at close in dates. They have to fill the ship so they do it the best way they know how.

Dwayne
Old 12-30-2011, 05:53 AM

In case anyone didn't realize my post was "tongue in cheek". I think everyone knows that nothing is really "fair" when it comes to booking cruises or for that matter any segment of travel. There are many discounts for various reasons ie: military discounts, past guests, residents, even for interline, police and fireman. Some people might not think some of those are fair. We all know if the ship isn't filling they are going to discount to fill the ship. It's all a gamble when you book.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:31 AM

When I've checked out the new RCI mega ships the price point has been a stopping point for me especially when we travel from the Northeast and air has been a large part of our cost for the past few years. In the past, we have only been able to cruise during school breaks but with my wife now retired, we may be able to better plan our cruises within a better budget.
But, that being said, any reduction in the vacation be it air or sea is always a welcome !
Happy reduced sailings Fl residents...

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-30-2011, 08:41 AM

Don't Florida residents have enough price advantages?
Old 12-30-2011, 06:16 PM
I think of Florida as the State of Last Resort in more ways than one!!

BillyBuzzy

Last edited by billybuzzy; 12-30-2011 at 06:17 PM. Reason: typo

Tags
california, caribbean, cruise, cruises, deals, discount, fl, florida, rate, rates, rccl, resident, residents, royal, wrong