Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 06:58 AM

Default Explorer questions from new RCCL cruiser
Only 3 1/2 weeks till we leave on the Explorer for a 10 day cruise! I hope someone can answer a few questions. On Labadee, do we need to book zipline before we dock? What does it cost and is it worth it? Both my daughters want to do it (13 & 15). What other fees will we encounter on Labadee? What else is good for teenagers to do? We've been Carnival cruisers for a long time - one favorite is the free ice cream dispenser by the pool. Does the Explorer have that? We're going to have at least 1 cold day before we hit the warmer weather - any tips for keeping the kids busy? They definitely can't wait to ice skate and try the rock wall.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:59 AM

Is the zip line worth it....hmmm... tough questions. I did it in Jan. It is $85. My reaction was ABSOLUTELY! I am 60 and my wife is 59. She is afraid of heights. It was worth it just to get her to do it It is pricey to say the least. We were on Freedom for the New Years cruise and the ship was full. We did not book the zip line but when we left the ship we simply walked over and asked if there was room and there was (there were 4 of us). We all enjoyed it. It takes awhile as you start with a short "training" class, followed by a small zip line to learn the "positions." Going down the big one you are assigned a line and position depending on weight and winds. We had a wind (not really noticeable) but some of the lighter people needed to pick up speed (torpedo position) or they wouldn't reach the landing platform. I am heavy so I needed the "starfish" to keep from building too much speed. Anyway, we were on Allure in Sept. and didn't do the zip line so decided it is sort of a once in a lifetime event so...heck... why not. Had a great time and I was able to tell my grandkids about it. Only other fees at Labadee are for various shore tours, or the water park area. I think it is pretty cheap, but it may be more juvenile than your kids will want. The best beach is Columbus Cove. As you head down the dock you'll see a ferry that'll take you there. You can also walk. It is the original Labadee beach and very nice. It is also where the water park area is. There is also a large straw market. Typical stuff. You use your cruise card and soda card for drinks, and lunch is free. RCCL has done a great job with Labadee.
As for ice cream, I think all RCCL ships have a soft serve dispenser somewhere near the pool. As for keeping the kids busy, I have never cruised with kids (mine were in college for our first cruise), but I believe there is a good teen program aboard. But the ship is beautiful and truly out classes anything Carnival has (except no slide). I suspect your kids will find plenty to do. Have a great time.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:11 PM

Don't forget socks and long pants are required for ice skating.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:17 PM
We went on Explorer last June and the ship was great. My kids are a little younger (12 &9) and with all previous cruises including Explorer they luved their cruise kid clubs. There is plenty to do for them....don't be surprised when your kids want to go their clubs instead of hanging with the parents...lol. Have fun. Remember as parents do not miss the Love & Marriage Game Show or the QUEST Game Show. Must do's. Have fun and duck when going under the bridge!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:46 AM

Smile
When my wife and I were in Labadee we really enjoyed parasailing. But there are many activities there that your teens should enjoy.

Tags
bb, code, cruise, cruises, demond, down, explorer, forum, good, jobs, line, on, rccls, seas, teenagers