Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   150 Central Park (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/37921-150-central-park.html)

cica 03-03-2012 01:38 PM

150 Central Park

I will like to know if anybody has many for "150 Central Park" restaurant in "Oasis of the Sea". I was thinking to make reservation. Maybe some of you can tell me what you think
about food and the restaurant?

Dave 03-03-2012 03:45 PM

They've changed chefs since I ate at 150 Central Park on Oasis. At the time it was a multi-course tasting menu which I liked although my tablemate (Paul Motter of CruiseMates) felt it was not enough food to qualify as a full meal. Bear in mind this was the first revenue cruise for the ship and they oddly could not source the ingredients for a course which we were shorted.

It is otherwise like eating at Chops, with gracious service in a nice quiet atmosphere. Some of the wine selections can cause guests to choke. I recall they had wines that went for $1000 or more per bottle as well as more reasonable choices. I was feeling like a Rockefeller that night and ordered a glass of red wine that went for $50. I could not tell any difference between it and a more typical $10 glass.

cica 03-03-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 292779)
They've changed chefs since I ate at 150 Central Park on Oasis. At the time it was a multi-course tasting menu which I liked although my tablemate (Paul Motter of CruiseMates) felt it was not enough food to qualify as a full meal. Bear in mind this was the first revenue cruise for the ship and they oddly could not source the ingredients for a course which we were shorted.

It is otherwise like eating at Chops, with gracious service in a nice quiet atmosphere. Some of the wine selections can cause guests to choke. I recall they had wines that went for $1000 or more per bottle as well as more reasonable choices. I was feeling like a Rockefeller that night and ordered a glass of red wine that went for $50. I could not tell any difference between it and a more typical $10 glass.

Thank you Dave,
what do you think is this going to be nice place to take my daughter she is 27 yr. old, for dinner?

Dave 03-03-2012 08:20 PM

Yes, you and your daughter will love it! It is a high end restaurant experience.

cica 03-04-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 292784)
Yes, you and your daughter will love it! It is a high end restaurant experience.

Thank you, I will let you know after my cruise in June

papaflamingo 03-06-2012 02:27 PM

We did 150 Central Park on Allure in Sep. It was my 60th birthday so we decided to treat ourselves. It was Fantastic. A 5 course tasting menu. We bought one bottle of wine, a nice one recommended by our waiter, for about $60. It was perfect for the 2 of us for the meal. They do have a wine pairing option which would be quite nice if you want to spend the extra and have a glass per course.
The chef was Molly Brandt and she was a contestant on Top Chef this last season. The courses are small but very delicious. The dinner takes at least 2 hours and is very nice and sophisticated. The waiter explains each course. My wife is allergic to seafood, and one course was seafood. They called our cabin the day of our reservation and confirmed it and asked about food allergies, etc. I explained her seafood allergy and the were able to substitute tofu for the fish. Not a fan of tofu, but she said it was actually quite delicious.
Bottom line, it was a great dinner. Very special. A wonderful way to celebrate something special. We will certainly do it again. I do disagree with Dave though, I don't think it is anywhere like Chops. Very gourmet, very elegant. Actually, they made me feel like a Rockefeller.
Oh, one other point. On our cruise the menu changed half way through the week. We chose the day we went as it only had one seafood dish, the other menu had two. You may want to see if one menu is more to your liking than the other if it changes on Oasis.

cica 03-07-2012 05:05 AM

Izumi

Quote:

Originally Posted by papaflamingo (Post 292841)
We did 150 Central Park on Allure in Sep. It was my 60th birthday so we decided to treat ourselves. It was Fantastic. A 5 course tasting menu. We bought one bottle of wine, a nice one recommended by our waiter, for about $60. It was perfect for the 2 of us for the meal. They do have a wine pairing option which would be quite nice if you want to spend the extra and have a glass per course.
The chef was Molly Brandt and she was a contestant on Top Chef this last season. The courses are small but very delicious. The dinner takes at least 2 hours and is very nice and sophisticated. The waiter explains each course. My wife is allergic to seafood, and one course was seafood. They called our cabin the day of our reservation and confirmed it and asked about food allergies, etc. I explained her seafood allergy and the were able to substitute tofu for the fish. Not a fan of tofu, but she said it was actually quite delicious.
Bottom line, it was a great dinner. Very special. A wonderful way to celebrate something special. We will certainly do it again. I do disagree with Dave though, I don't think it is anywhere like Chops. Very gourmet, very elegant. Actually, they made me feel like a Rockefeller.
Oh, one other point. On our cruise the menu changed half way through the week. We chose the day we went as it only had one seafood dish, the other menu had two. You may want to see if one menu is more to your liking than the other if it changes on Oasis.

Thank you. I will try. Yesterday I make reservation for "Izumi" restorant for dinner.Did anybody try that place?

Dave 03-07-2012 01:12 PM

I never got around to Izumi but it seemed quite popular.

MCPayne 03-07-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 292853)
I never got around to Izumi but it seemed quite popular.

Talk about a coincidence, if you will. 20 or so years ago when I lived in the Seattle area, Izumi was one of our family's favorite Japanese restaurants to go to. I'm not sure if it's still there, but I'd be surprised if it was. I doubt these locations are related, though, just a coincidence of the name.

cica 03-07-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCPayne (Post 292854)
Talk about a coincidence, if you will. 20 or so years ago when I lived in the Seattle area, Izumi was one of our family's favorite Japanese restaurants to go to. I'm not sure if it's still there, but I'd be surprised if it was. I doubt these locations are related, though, just a coincidence of the name.

I hope food is good?!