Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 06:25 AM

Default Belize
After a wonderful 7 night cruise to Western Caribbean in January with RCI.....weather much warmer than we expected......we have just booked a short 5 night cruise next January. Not over concerned about the itinery as it is the cruising experience we love.......but Belize is one of the ports of call. Don't know too much about Belize and, if the truth be told, it might not be top of my list to visit

Am I being unfair......someone tell me it is the best place they have ever been and there is lots to see!!!

Peter
Old 03-09-2012, 08:45 AM

I haven't gone into the city either time I was there, not because I didn't want to, but because I was too busy snorkeling. I have gone on 3 of the best snorkels in the Caribbean there. Each time, they've met us at the ship as you drop anchor about 30 minutes outside of Belize City. The reef is the second largest in the world and is spectacular. My co-worker has gone into the city and really enjoyed it. Congratulations on your up-coming cruise! Was there a particular reason you were not happy with this port?
Old 03-09-2012, 10:21 AM

No Penny......I've never been there. It's just that there seems less info about Belize than most other ports. I get the feeling that it is a city but maybe not much else.......could be totally wrong of course!!

Peter
Old 03-10-2012, 07:20 AM

Thumbs down Went last year,,and was NOT a port I d return to...
Sorry,,do google it,,,the dock area is nice,,but outside that,,very run down and rough.Would NOT walk around on own,,to much crime .Must show ID to get in dock area.So stick with ships tour,,we did zip line and airboat. Can see both of these on you tube.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:56 PM

tank you for this hsare

Old 03-12-2012, 06:43 AM

Default Belize
Thanks Alexandra Cruiser. Maybe explains why there doesn't seem to be a lot of info about Belize. We were thinking of hiring a car and taking off on our own for a few hours.......but maybe this isn't the place to do that!!!

Peter
Old 03-13-2012, 10:31 AM

My coworker has walked around the town. He said he felt quite safe, but he is a Brit... Now before I get killed, we call him the little Brit at work, so I'm just teasing. In fact, he said he wouldn't mind retiring there. After seeing a few shows on HGTV about homes there, I wouldn't either, but then again, I couldn't afford the homes they were showing. I know there are more reasonable properties there. English is their first language, so communication should not be a problem. One day, I'm going to go into the city, but I'll have to pick a cruise that has enough time to snorkel and go ashore.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:59 AM

Well, Belize is good enough for Prince Harry and ABC's Bachelor. Maybe learning a little more about the country would help you feel more comfortable. Look at this website to learn more about Belize. Click here
Old 03-16-2012, 09:13 AM

Default Belize
Yes I noticed Prince Harry went there, and he also went outside the "enclosure" at Falmouth in Jamaica. We actually did the same ourselves there.....my wife was a bit nervous but it was fine.....although you do have to be a bit thick skinned to keep saying "no" to people constantly trying to flog you something. Sometimes you do have to wander off the beaten track a little to see how people really do live.......bit of an eye opener at times! Usually everything is fine if you are careful......but us Brits now how to look after ourselves... Ha,Ha!!!!

Back to Belize.......I'm sure it will be ok. But it just seems to be one of those places with not a lot of information available

Thanks for feedback

Peter

Tags
belize, caribbean, city, cruise, forums, good, january, night, port, ports, review, reviews, ship, weather, western