Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 03:43 PM

Post Early May Transatlantic
Hello cruisers,

My Girlfriend and I are taking the Jewel of the seas from Miami to England, (getting off early in Cherbourg) leaving May 3. This is the beginning of an extended backpacking trip around Europe/Balkans/Eastern Europe. Anybody here ever disembark early in europe, crazy dealings with customs or immigration. I already have the early disembark papers from RCI.

You probably are not meteorologists, and i know that storms and bad weather are always a possibility, but what kind of average weather may we be likely to expect on a transatlantic voyage. What if any has been your personal experience on a TA cruise in the springtime... Mostly wondering about air temperatures. Bikini weather by the pool if its sunny? Any of you have links to good Atlantic basin weather websites? ie, storms, temps, etc.

We are getting ready to leave the Rocky Mountains after working at a ski resort so most likely it will be warm to us depending on the ocean breeze.

Any other pertinent advice about the Jewel or TA cruises would be greatly appreciated. I've been on 7 cruises out of florida... bahamas, mexico, carribean. This is her first. We have a midship room with a window for the horizon.

Thanks
Todd
Old 03-24-2012, 08:42 AM

So, did i put this in the wrong section or do you just not have any information?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:04 AM
Administrator

I can't think of anyone here who has done an early debarkation on a transatlantic cruise.

The Radiance-class ships are perhaps the most loved among Royal Caribbean loyalists. They are often considered to be 'just the right balance' being not too big, not too small, and having lots of public areas. This is good for a transatlantic since you will have many sea days which can get boring to some cruisers.

I don't know your ages but you obviously lead an physically active lifestyle. Be aware that cruises of this length often have an older passenger demographic, and it is also likely that many of them will be Royal Caribbean loyalty members. In other words it will be a cruise-savvy crowd for the most part.

I've never cruised on a transatlantic, but I did spend a lot of time in the north Atlantic while in the Navy and crossed the Atlantic 4 times while aboard both a cruiser and an aircraft carrier. The weather is notoriously unpredictable. As for pool time...the Solarium is covered and always an option if it is too cool or windy for the outside pool areas. Wind is perhaps the most common weather issue for the Atlantic, especially in the spring and fall when cold fronts are more prevalent in the northern hemisphere and sweep across the sea from west to east.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:15 AM

Welcome Todd,
We have been doing TA's each of the last 5 years and have mostly had good weather.Good being in the 60-70 range. You will be traveling east which means the same as the weather. If it starts out nice it should stay that way but if it starts raining you will be following it .It normaly does'nt warm up until the Med but you will be turning north toward the UK. We are taking the Jewel TA back on Aug 31 so take good care of it for us. I have never gotten off early so no advice there but what a great way to see Euorpe and the Euro is as low as we have seen it. I wish we would of cashed ours in before departing last time. The solarium pool and the hot tubs will be popular spots on this sailing. Best wishes...
Old 03-30-2012, 09:42 AM

Default thanks
thanks for the info you guys. happy sailing.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:57 PM

Casey and Kathy, you said you do many TA's. We just booked Vision of the Seas from Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale at the end of Sept./ first of Oct. Have you done a TA during this time? What is the weather like?
Old 04-05-2012, 02:00 PM

We have sailed out of Harwich that time of year which is pretty close It started out cool 50-60 range but by day 3 was quite nice. You will love the Azores We became hooked on TA's after the first one. What we like to do is book both directions because that you can buy round trip air. Air is available 330 days out so we normally get air 2-3 months prior to first leg and return air is availble at that time. Most TA's take place during off peak season for air, Oct or April so it is reasonable. Only on a TA can you 14 or 16 nights for 449! You will also have I believe 5 25 hr days on your direction.You are lucky that all of the Olympic surcharges should be over by then as I believe hotels in London will be charging a premium all summer. Safe Travels...Casey
Old 04-05-2012, 08:02 PM

Thanks for the info. We are certainly looking forward to the cruise. Luckily I work for a major airline so we airfare is not an issue for us. We booked the Grand Suite since my wife and I are both celebrating birthdays. Can't wait!!

Tags
2012, atlantic, call, caribbean, cruise, cruises, early, princess, reviews, roll, royal, temperature, trans, transatlantic, weather