Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 04:17 AM

Smile Earliest I can view excursions?
Husband and I are going on an Eastern Caribbean cruise on Sunday Dec 2nd. I was just wondering when we can look at excurisions? We do not want to book now but basically would like to know what's offered. We did the same exact cruise in October 2010, and we know there are 2 excursions that we will not do. (1 was in St. Thomas and other at St. Maarten)

Also was watching something on YouTube about RCCL ("show" was specifically about Freedom of the Seas) and they stated extra "perks" you get when you have a Grand Suite or above...Robes to borrow in your room, special "treatment" for spa, and shows...IF they are booked they become "unbooked" if you want to go. I believe you get 1st bids on cabanas (spelling off??), but I am under impression they are rentals. And they have a (what I call) cocktail hour(s) everynight..You get special colored cards so you stand out..And special bording area..Probally more too..That got me excited..MAY not get anything under Grand Suite after this cruise...

I am not trying to "show off" but just letting people know in case they are undecided..Or are just intrested..

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-28-2012, 04:31 AM
Administrator

You can see the suite perks here. The larger ships have dedicated concierge lounges for those in Grand Suites and above, as well as Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members of the Crown & Anchor Society. I've read reports that RCI is considering dropping the perk for suite guests getting anytime access to shows, instead requiring everyone to have a reservation. But the concierge can get reservations as I suspect he/she always has a holdback number of seats. Believe it or not, I've seen people almost start fights because they were jealous of the suite guests getting special seating. We like the perks and try to book a suite on each RCI cruise. The perks do not include Junior Suites.

Excursions usually are not available until 3 months or so out from the cruise.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:15 AM

Dave,

Thanks..I knew I would get a quick response from you. People were stating that it isn't fair with the special perks,(Junior Suite) and one question seemed to always come up regarding the Junior Suite...Why isn't it included?? It has suite in the name??

Not really sure if we would actually make reservations for shows..IF they had the same exact shows as our last cruise we would only make 1 reservation..A comedy show with 2 men..ONLY show we saw that we would actually pay extra money to see.

Thanks again

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-28-2012, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Two reasons I can think of: the junior suites are priced lower and do not have the fancier bathrooms and other cabin enhancements. Also a capacity control issue. Add in the JS category and you can probably double the number of people that get the perks. I do think they should rename them and drop the 'suite' part.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candice R View Post
Dave,

Thanks..I knew I would get a quick response from you. People were stating that it isn't fair with the special perks,(Junior Suite) and one question seemed to always come up regarding the Junior Suite...Why isn't it included?? It has suite in the name??

Not really sure if we would actually make reservations for shows..IF they had the same exact shows as our last cruise we would only make 1 reservation..A comedy show with 2 men..ONLY show we saw that we would actually pay extra money to see.

Thanks again
Candice,
Don't give the cruise lines any ideas of charging for entertainment. LOL, Like it's not already crossed their minds. I always cringed when the reservation restaurants first came out and people would say "Well worth the extra money" or "I'd gladly pay" Well, look where we are today. Norwegian Cruise Lines charges for more than half their restaurants, and Royal Caribbean is right behind them on the new Oasis and Allure. What used to be a "Nominal surcharge" of $5-$10 to cover the gratuities has turned into an average of $30-$35 and some are now saying gratuity not included.

I don't have a crystal ball to see what cruising will be like 10-20 years down the road. But I fear it is going to be something I may not be happy with. At least not on the mass market cruise lines.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Administrator

I forgot the cabana question. Yes, they cost extra. The concierge controls them. I think we paid $175 last summer, plus I tipped our personal attendant $40. It was well worth it for the privacy.

Tags
allure, cruise, excursions, extras, freedom, grand, jrsuite, junior, lower, oasis, perks, posted, seas, suite, worth