Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 12:43 AM

Hello..my name is Carmen and I will be going on Royal Caribbean's 10 Day Caribbean Cruise (Bermuda, St. Thomas, St. Maarten & Puerto Rico) on the Explorer of the Seas on July 23, 2009. We are a family of 4 my husband and I are celebrating our 20th year wedding anniversary...along with us are our two sons 17 and 13. They are both into video games (PS3 and X-Box Live)..I want them to make friends while on the cruise and spend some time getting to know other kids (all cultures) in other words...I don't want them playing video games (I will allow 2 hours per day at best) I want them to interact with other children their ages. Any suggestions?

Old 02-27-2009, 05:52 AM

Hi carmena610, welcome to Cruise-Chat. There is a "club" for your children. They arrange the activities by age groups. It's a great way for them to meet other children their own age on board. There is so much to do on board that I cannot imagine them being more attracted to video games, but then again, I'm not a teenager. I have a feeling when they see the other kids having fun, they'll want to join in as well. You will receive a daily newsletter in your cabin listing all the activities for the day. You can go over it with them, see what the teen club is doing that day and find activities that will keep them away from the video games. They do have an arcade on board, but the games aren't free. You can limit their spending and tell them, when that's done, it's done. I have a feeling, they'll decide that there are a bunch of fun things that they'll want to do. I hope you'll try snorkeling in one of your ports, they will absolutely love it. St. Thomas would probably be the best to try a snorkeling excursion (better water and sea life). If they like jets, you might want to go to Maho beach in St. Maarten-the planes land nearly on top of you-quite exciting. It's been a long time since I've been to Bermuda and the only thing I really remember is Horseshoe Beach, absolutely beautiful pink sand beach. In Puerto Rico, Old San Juan and El Morro are really interesting. Another fun thing we did in St. Maarten was an America's Cup Racing Yacht excursion. It was where the tourists manned a real racing yacht, quite a hoot! Take a look through our Caribbean Port Chat Section, a little further down page you might find some excursions that you're interested in as well. Hope you have a fantastic cruise, and once again, welcome aboard!
Old 02-27-2009, 09:27 AM

THere is an arcade on board, and one of the youth activities is an arcade challenge. They will get their own age appropriate cruise compass (brochure outlining what is going on that day to do) and can go to as many or as few activities as they choose. Do have them check out the first night get acquainted event so that later if there is something they want to do they know where they are going and don't feel "new" to the venue. My daughter used the teen club just to meet people so she could find those faces in the hot tub, pool, 70's dance, etc., and really didn't attend many functions. Our friend's kids loved it so much they were with the young people all the time.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-27-2009, 08:21 PM

Your kids will have an amazing time. We took our kids on 7 cruises and they always made friends with kids on the ship...they still keep in contact with some of them. Make sure they bring a pair of long pants if they want to ice skate...the ice show is fabulous. They have all kinds of activites that your kids can join in...pizza parties, scavenger hunts, etc. RCCL has started to enforce their curfew...my husband and some other fathers did the 1 am hunt for the kids. I found not letting them have "charge capabilites" on their cruise card helped incase they lost the card...one time my son lost the card and someone else was using it in the arcade. RCCL took off the charges, but I am not comfortable with letting kids loose in any store with a charge card. Just ask them either at the pier when you are checking in or at the purser's desk when you board. Enjoy your cruise!
Carnival Sensation 2002
Explorer 2003
Explorer 2004
Adventure 2005
Freedom 2006
Vision 2007
Jewel 2008
Liberty B2B 2009
Solstice B2B 2010

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-02-2009, 04:46 PM

Thank you so much. My kids were reading your email and they are so excited and can't wait till July 23rd. My oldest wants to goo snorkeling which we definately will do.

Thanks again!

Closed Thread

Tags
activites, activities, arcade, compass, cruiser, daily, day, explorer, rccl, time