Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 09:46 AM

Default Bermuda; disability access
We will be in King's Wharf May 6th. I will be using a rented scooter and wondered if it was feasible to get around the area in that scooter.
Is the port close enough to a ferry dock to travel there from the Enchantment? I understand the buses are not scooter-friendly.
Are the roads and sidewalks scooter usable?
Thanks
Old 04-08-2012, 11:26 AM

Default follow up
The scooter referred to above is a MOBILITY scooter, not a motorbike.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Administrator

This link has some good information, although much of it is bureaucratic stuff regarding the Bermudan government rules.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:03 PM

Default Thanks Dave! Helpful, BUT.........
Whoa! I looked at that link, and it does not seem like a very friendly place for the disabled. I can still get around with a cane and multiple stops, but I was hoping to use my scooter to get off the dock and to do some traveling at least in King's Wharf. The document says that only licensed residents are permitted to use motorized scooters! I didn't find that in the postings of others on this and other sites, and wonder if it is enforced? Perhaps a recent visitor to Bermuda might be able to answer. This will be my first trip there, and maybe my last! It's also my first experience using a scooter! We been on around 15+ cruises, and always saw people using scooters on and off board in most places!
Old 04-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Other reports I've looked at today indicate you will be fine. The area around the pier is friendly to your kind of scooter and they are not looking for permits or licenses for users. The Bermudan government understands that cruise ship passengers are guests and you won't be hassled.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:08 PM

Default Bermuda
Thanks , Dave.
I guess we'll find out when we get there. I'll give it a try!
Old 04-13-2012, 07:10 AM
The area in and around Kings Wharf would be very easy to navigate in a scooter. It's not a terribly long walk to the ferry pier. I've seen folks with regular scooters/mopeds bring them right on the ferry. If you can walk onto the boat with your cane, I'm confident that they will assist you. The residents are very accommidating to the tourists.
Hamilton is a well developed city and also not too bad to get around. St. George's is a little more difficult, but not un-doable. Even if you just ride the ferry there and stay in the small area near the pier, it's a lovely boat ride with comanding vista of the island.
The combine ferry/bus passes are very reasonable. There is also a tram that runs around King's Wharf all day, so if you're feeling well enough, take the tram to the bus and you can ride all over the island and have a tour without leaving your seat.

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 04-13-2012, 07:30 AM

Default Bermuda
I appreciate the great advice! I can generally get around with a cane as long as there places to stop and pause for a very short time. Are there a reasonable number of outdoor benches or other rest places at King's Wharf, Hamilton, and St. Georges to do that? If so, and the walk from the ship exit gangplank to the end of the pier is not extremely long, I would forgo my scooter and just walk. Sometimes, the longest walk without a place to sit for a moment is from the ship's exit to the end of the pier! That's one reason I am considering use of the scooter off the ship. Some piers have benches to sit, others do not. Thanks for your help!

Tags
access, bermuda, caribbean, cruise, disabled, ferry, hamilton, handicap, kings, legal, line, reviews, scooter, scooters, ship, wharf, wifi