Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   Restaurants (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/38007-restaurants.html)

Kentishgirl 04-10-2012 01:55 AM

Restaurants

My time dining is now waitlisted for the cruise we want to do. Is there any chance of getting this option? How exactly does it work. Are you sat on a different table every night so that you meet different people? If we take early sitting and an excursion doesn't get back until after it starts do you have to let the restaurant know the day before?

LisaP 04-10-2012 04:21 AM

Are you saying that they are giving you first sitting dinner instead of a flexible time dining option? (Sorry...it's early in the morning and the tea hasn't kicked in yet.) I've usually heard of wait lists being the other way around.

If you have a set dining time and you know you won't be able to make it one evening, it is customary to let your waiter know in advance. We have done this for the reason you mentioned -- a shore excursion that overlaps dinner -- as well as for the one time per cruise we go to a specialty restaurant.

I haven't done flexible dining on RCI, but I've done it on HAL, and will do so again this summer. You can make a reservation (usually day-of), or just show up. There may be a wait if you arrive without a reservation, yet they may ask if you would like to dine with others, which can shorten the wait.

Kentishgirl 04-10-2012 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaP (Post 293183)
Are you saying that they are giving you first sitting dinner instead of a flexible time dining option? (Sorry...it's early in the morning and the tea hasn't kicked in yet.) I've usually heard of wait lists being the other way around.

If you have a set dining time and you know you won't be able to make it one evening, it is customary to let your waiter know in advance. We have done this for the reason you mentioned -- a shore excursion that overlaps dinner -- as well as for the one time per cruise we go to a specialty restaurant.

I haven't done flexible dining on RCI, but I've done it on HAL, and will do so again this summer. You can make a reservation (usually day-of), or just show up. There may be a wait if you arrive without a reservation, yet they may ask if you would like to dine with others, which can shorten the wait.

yes they are now saying that my time dining is closed for the cruise and we are on early sitting. Perhaps they should free up some more space if it is proving so popular? They are also saying that if we are late back from an excursion we will have to eat at a different restaurant. I didn't enjoy the Windjammer last time so looks like we will have to spend more money booking a speciality restaurant.

Cruise Fanatic 04-10-2012 06:29 AM

If your expired cruise ticker for the Voyager is an indication of the last time you sailed on Royal Caribbean, then I would give the Windjammer another chance. If you don't get off the wait list before the cruise then talk to the Maitre'd on the first day and see if you can get changed.

Kentishgirl 04-10-2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruise Fanatic (Post 293185)
If your expired cruise ticker for the Voyager is an indication of the last time you sailed on Royal Caribbean, then I would give the Windjammer another chance. If you don't get off the wait list before the cruise then talk to the Maitre'd on the first day and see if you can get changed.

Yeah that was the last time we cruised. Not impressed with the Windjammer as it was always too busy and we didn't like the plastic cups and plates. Perhaps we can be put on a table that has got 2 spaces each night? We don't mind who we sit with!
Will have to organise something as my other half wants to watch England in the Euro's as well!

Dave 04-10-2012 01:12 PM

RCI has made significant improvements in the Windjammer over the past few years.

Kentishgirl 04-11-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 293193)
RCI has made significant improvements in the Windjammer over the past few years.

We never ate dinner at the WJ last time as we had a bad experience at breakfast and lunch. Is dining in the evening different. Do they have table cloths and proper crockery?

Dave 04-11-2012 01:00 PM

Dinner in the Windjammer does seem more quiet than the other meal times, and they have many choices that you would find in the main dining room. For instance if it is prime rib night in the dining room they usually have it in the Windjammer too, cut to order. Same for appetizers and desserts. They also have the tables looking nicer and the staff is wearing more formal uniforms than they do during the day. We find it works out better for us once or maybe twice on a 7 night cruise. Some nights I just don't want to fool with full dinner service and all the protocol.

Kentishgirl 04-11-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 293208)
Dinner in the Windjammer does seem more quiet than the other meal times, and they have many choices that you would find in the main dining room. For instance if it is prime rib night in the dining room they usually have it in the Windjammer too, cut to order. Same for appetizers and desserts. They also have the tables looking nicer and the staff is wearing more formal uniforms than they do during the day. We find it works out better for us once or maybe twice on a 7 night cruise. Some nights I just don't want to fool with full dinner service and all the protocol.

Well perhaps we should give it another go. Got some hectic tours on this cruise so might be nice not to have to worry about getting too dressed up!

Cruise Fanatic 04-11-2012 04:21 PM

They also have the new Mongolian at the Windjammer on certain nights. I think on a seven night they might have it twice during the week. I always talk to the Windjammer Chef to find out what nights they have it. It is so good!