Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Unhappy No Escargot?!!!
So there is no Escargot on the Allure I hear ....well that's a deal breaker. LOL NOT! Seriously I understand most of the eatery's you have to pay for. Now here is the question I really need answered. wait for it, wait for it...... Johnny Rockets, is there really a cover charge? So you pay to get in and you have to pay for the food as well, now that's a little much don't ya think. I understand this ship is huge ...but a cover charge.

Please tell me this isn't true, no,no,no, not Johnny Rockets.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:11 PM

The Johnny Rockets surcharge is $4.95 per person. It includes the gratuity. Hamburgers, hotdogs, fries are free. Items like a milk shake and a few other items have a charge. Originally, Johnny Rockets was complimentary. They placed the surcharge on to distract the teens from hanging out in JR all day long.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:33 PM
Administrator

I was surprised to learn there is a worldwide escargot shortage. This does disappoint me since I like them, but it isn't as though the cruise line can do anything about it unless they start their own snail farm.

Johnny Rockets...RCI has charged the cover fee for several years. It isn't a new fee. I remember paying it in 2004 on the Mariner Of The Seas. When they first introduced Rockets on Voyager Of The Seas it was totally free but eventually it was shown that the teens aboard would take the place over as a hangout, and the paying passengers (their parents) had problems getting a booth. As Cruise Fanatic said, the charge was meant to be a way to discourage the hangout behavior.

On Allure the Johnny Rockets is in the Boardwalk neighborhood. They serve breakfast there too, and at least as of last year the breakfast did not have a cover charge so tips would be appreciated by the staff. The usual diner lunch menu food is complimentary - burgers, grilled cheese, tuna sandwich, hot dogs, and they stuff you automatically with endless plates of french fries and onion rings as soon as you sit down. They arrive steaming hot from the fryer and to me are probably the best part of eating there. Again, as CF said, there are items you have to pay for such as sodas (like anywhere else on the ship), and specialty items like the milkshakes and ice cream sundaes. But you can leave the place ready for a nap and not pay more than the cover charge. Enjoy!
Old 04-15-2012, 04:34 PM
There's also a buy one get one coupon for a milkshake if you're a repeat cruiser. You can get one(or two) to go if you're just having that!
I'm bummed about the escargot too. I've heard they've been replaced with a scallop dish!

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 04-15-2012, 05:06 PM

Spiritfilled

On the RCI ships that have Johnny Rockets, it is a $4.95 cover charge, but it includes the burgers and fries. On my most recent cruise I went there for lunch on both of the sea days. I think that's a pretty good deal, as if you go to Johnny Rockets on land, you can't get a burger and fries for that, or pretty much anywhere, for that matter.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 04-15-2012, 08:20 PM
This sounds like a bit of a slimy case of 'Es Car No-Go!!!As long as I can still get Sauteed Mushrooms I remain a Happy Cruiser!!

BillyBuzzy
Old 04-16-2012, 04:13 PM

My husband had escargot on the Navigator two months ago. However, he said the quality wasn't very good.

Nadine
Old 04-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Default Izumi Asian Cuisine
Do you know how much they charge for dinner? I make reservation and I guess it was cover charge $10? This is i Oasis of the Sea.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:24 AM
Administrator

The pricing for Izumi annoys me a bit. First they charge $5 per person for dinner just to get inside, and then the menu is ala carte pricing. The price of dinner depends on what you order from the fairly extensive menu. Individual items are not expensive - I think the highest price item is around $6 or $7 - but you will order more than one thing.

Also - booking Izumi online does have the $10 per person fee unlike the $5 per person fee if you booked on the ship or just showed up for a seat. But if you booked online the $10 you paid essentially covers $5 worth of food.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:01 AM

Smile
Well, I'm a big fan of escargot and love to dip the crusty bread in the lovely garlic butter.
I seem to remember getting a coupon as well in our booklets for a meal at Johnny Rockets; it is also fun to watch the staff entertain with dancing to the 50's and 60's music while you eat...I agree, I have triplet grandkids and can just see them hanging out with other teens there for way to long...

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews

Tags
caribbean, carribean, cruise, escargot, jewel, lobster, mariner, night, rccl, royal, scallop, seas, ships, shortage, starter