Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   Southwest Airlines (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/38132-southwest-airlines.html)

Spiritfilled 05-24-2012 12:46 PM

Southwest Airlines

This is for anyone who lives in the Illinois or Wisconsin area. Now I love Milwaukee airport so nice and easy to navigate through. Whenever we fly out from there to Florida we fly Southwest airlines. It seems that they no longer have early morning flights, and they have very long layovers which means taking an 11am flight and not getting to Florida until 5pm sometimes. Does anyone know what is up with that? Flying down a day early may no longer be an issue we just may have to do that, and still not get there until late in the evening. Flights are sooo expensive, have you noticed? Any suggestions other than going down early, for those that may not be able to fly down early. It seems most other airlines are following suit, no early morning flights.

Spiritfilled is sad.

poormom 05-24-2012 02:07 PM

I feel your pain. I usually catch an 8 am flight out of Providence RI and get to FLL around 11. I squeek a whole extra day of vacation in. I love a nonstop flight. Have you looked at Airtran? They've merged with Southwest. Looks like they have a 7:25 nonstop. I usually plug the airports into a travel site and then go to the airline website to book.

susanmaz 05-24-2012 05:47 PM

Hey, Spiritfilled . . I feel your pain. It's similar to what we go through in Southern Arizona... I saw in today's paper that the cost of oil fell under $90 yesterday. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to book airfare to FLL, the cost will come down a bit . . . it's at least $300 more than I spent in 2009 when we flew into FLL..... (It's good to see you again)

Jim1012 05-24-2012 07:40 PM

Southwest

Spiritfilled, we also live in Illinois, 10 miles South of the border with Wisc., and used to regularly fly out of Milwaukee. Totally agree that it is a great easy airport. Southwest recently bought out Airtran airlines, which we used to fly all the time. However, Southwest's prices and lack of baggage fees have not yet crossed over to Airtran, which still holds onto it's name. We now drive to Midway airport to take our Southwest flights. There are way more flights from and to Midway (MDW) on Southwest. Time wise, it takes us about 1 1/2 hours to get there, but I think that the lower costs, and free bag, make up for the time. However, and this is a BIG however, Midway parking is WAY OVER PRICED, compared to Milwaukee's rates. You can park in the outter lots for less, but the neighborhood down there is not the best. Any time I see fences around gas stations, and bullet-proof glass inside the station where the clerk stands, well, I pay a friend to drive us there and pick us up. Great air line, comfortable seats, lots of leg room, almost all 737's, no assigned seating, etc. Book as FAR in advance as possible for better prices too. I've also heard that there are certain days of the week where prices can be lowered (Tuesday comes to mind). Good Luck!

Spiritfilled 05-25-2012 06:41 AM

Thanks everyone, I guess Midway is going to have to be an option.

Cruise Fanatic 05-25-2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

Midway parking is WAY OVER PRICED, compared to Milwaukee's rates. You can park in the outter lots for less, but the neighborhood down there is not the best. Any time I see fences around gas stations, and bullet-proof glass inside the station where the clerk stands, well, I pay a friend to drive us there and pick us up. Great air line, comfortable seats, lots of leg room, almost all 737's, no assigned seating, etc. Book as FAR in advance as possible for better prices too. I've also heard that there are certain days of the week where prices can be lowered (Tuesday comes to mind). Good Luck!
Park & Fly hotels may work out to be cheaper than parking at the airport. You would have to compare cost based on the length of your trip. Park & Fly's can vary at different times of year. Midway has several; Hampton Inn Chicago Midway, Marriott Chicago Midway, Holiday Inn Midway, Double Tree Alsip are a few.

Sonny V 05-25-2012 11:11 PM

I'm only 20 minutes from Mitchell Field and fly out of there all the time. Airtran has always been the cheapest for me to fly. I usually get a non-stop that gets my into Ft. Lauderdale by 11:30 am. There's not a problem with crime in the area of the airport, so I wouldn't worry about leaving your car there.

Frontier Air Lines has cut flights out of Milwaukee, so there's less competition which will bring prices up. The biggest culprit is the price of oil. It's still cheaper than driving if there is only two of you.

Wheels87 05-26-2012 06:59 AM

I do believe that one of the issue with Southwest Airlines lately is the price of oil...now before you tell me that oil is going down, read below.

Several years ago (as in at least 5), when oil was headed up quickly, Southwest brokered a deal whereby they purchased large amounts of fuel tied to a $40 per barrel oil price, so when oil shot up to $70, $80, $90 per barrel, Southwest was able to price their flights way below their competition. It seems that lately, those contracts have all expired and Southwest has had to find other ways to keep their costs down, e.g. cutting flights.

Anyway, this is all from memory, so the details may not be exact, but the facts are basically correct.

Enjoy your trip!

Brad

Cruise Fanatic 05-26-2012 08:21 AM

In addition to high fuel we have competition for less seats. Supply and demand. Northwest airlines went away a couple years ago merging with Delta, and now Continental merging with United. Along with the mergers came flight schedule cuts because the buying airline isn't going to keep duplicate routes. Now the talk is will American who is in financial trouble merge with US Airways. All these mergers aren't good for the consumer.

wooddon 05-26-2012 05:57 PM

You guys in the US are lucky. The cost of plane tickets in Canada to go anywhere is triple what you are paying.