Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Smile Back from Oasis
When you step onto the boat you enter onto the 5-th floor of the promenade and if is beautiful. The ice skating rink was very similar to the Libertu but the show was absoltely phenomenta.!I would suggest showing up 30 min. early to gat agood seat, it was so wort it. There is a jazz bar tha tI really loved and sat there paracticlly every night. Central Park si so lush and green. There were some nights where these was a gitarist playing melodies, really fantastic. I did love hte hot tubs really spacious and there even had tv's that were playing live sprots. I also notice that the "intimacy" of the smaller ship Liberty) was lost on the Oasis. Oasis is so large that you hardly see the same people again and it feels so much like city that people do not interact as much as they would on a smaller ship. The nightclub, the gembling, the croweds, the solarium, the food from what I remember are acually much better on the Liberty. But I still advise to go and see Oasis!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:40 AM

Welcome home Cica! I know you'd rather be back on board, but it sounds like you had a great time. I agree with the loss of intimacy, and you don't very often see the same people on the larger ships. However, they do offer a lot of ammenities. I also agree with the clubs and food, it just doesn't seem as good. Where are you off to next?
Old 07-06-2012, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny3333 View Post
Welcome home Cica! I know you'd rather be back on board, but it sounds like you had a great time. I agree with the loss of intimacy, and you don't very often see the same people on the larger ships. However, they do offer a lot of ammenities. I also agree with the clubs and food, it just doesn't seem as good. Where are you off to next?
I don't know yet. Maybe "Freedom of the Sea" or South Caribbean. I have to wait next year for next vecation.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Welcome home, and thank you for your comments! We were docked next to Oasis of the Seas in Cozumel a couple of years ago. Actually, we had docked first so we saw her come in. Everyone who was in the same general area as we were stopped in their tracks as this massive ship pulled beside us. Should I ever go, it would have to be an itinerary I had done before as I think I'd need the full week to see the ship!
Old 07-08-2012, 10:06 PM
"Everyone who was in the same general area as we were stopped in their tracks as this massive ship pulled beside us."

This was my exact reaction to seeing Grand Princess for the first time in '98; kind of makes you wonder where it's going to end.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:47 AM
I have read many reviews and now I have read yours and you all are pretty much saying the same thing " the food could be better". What exactly is wrong ...is it bland, tasteless, cold when it should be hot, hot when it should be cold, is the meat tough. what....? Just curious to know.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-10-2012, 08:43 AM

I have sailed Oasis in 2010, Allure in 2011, Freedom in 2011, Voyager this year and am going on Vision in Sep. We began cruising in 1998 and have done one or more per year since. Royal Caribbean is by far our favorite and we will achieve Diamond Plus after the Freedom cruise in Dec. We have done 1 Princess, 1 NCL, and 4 Carnival. So here is my take on food.
Prior to 9/11 Royal Caribbean had a theme night each night in the main dining room. American, French, Italian, etc. The waiters dressed in theme oriented vests and the menu was geared to the theme. In addition they had wine stewards serving the wine in the dining room. The food was very good and service outstanding. After 9/11 they, like everyone, went through a significant decrease. They cut staff, including the wine stewards, and changed their menus, doing away with the theme nights. Part of this was the rapid rise of fuel costs and the incredible competition with the mass of new ships. Here is an example of the cost structure change. I am an airline pilot, retired military, and over 55. So I qualify for 3 different fares. In 1998 we booked, through our airline discount, inside cabins at a great rate for the time of $750 per person on Grandeur of the Seas. In 2007, 9 years later, we booked again on Grandeur, through our age 55 discount, Junior Suites for $749 per person, $1 cheaper, massive upgraded cabin, and 9 years later! So the cruise lines needed to increase revenue. Even their drinks aren't all that expensive compared to any hotel bar or resort.
It seemed to me even before 9/11 that RCL meals, although quite good, were not as good as Carnival, especially toward the end of the voyage. Carnival (we haven't sailed them since 2007) seemed to always have great meals, especially meat dishes. Their duck breast was outstanding and steaks always great. And they have, without question, the BEST pizza afloat. But their buffet was so so. Ships not nearly as nice, and, although great fun, a different clientele and experience.
Princess, in my opinion, was as good as RCL in most respects, including the dining room, but great buffet (mind you that was back in 2001 before 9/11).
NCL had ok food, but not my favorite.
I was not thrilled in 2010 by the food on Oasis, and I thought the cabin steward just mediocre. I was very surprised and pleased on Allure. I felt the dining service was outstanding, as was our cabin attendant. The food, definitely much better. I noticed the same on Freedom and Voyager. Talking with our friends who we cruise with, they agree, and they did 3 more cruises without us on RCL in 2011 and 2012. I believe that RCL management after a noticeable slump after 9/11, has really stepped it up because of the competition from Carnival, et. al. It seems that all the cruiselines are upgrading their eating venues. Reading reviews of NCL Epic, Carnival Breeze, etc. shows how the competition is heating up. Additionally oil has been stable for a few years and the economy is doing ok, so the ships are full and the cruiselines are profitable, leading to, in my opinion, a great upgrading of service. Plus the optional dining venues, especially on Allure and Oasis are GREAT!
There has been talk of bringing back wine stewards, which will free up waiters from chasing down bottles of wine, thus allowing more time for attention to table service.
Lastly, they are cooking for anywhere from 1000 to 3000 people per sitting, depending on which ship you are on. To put out the level of gourmet coupled with the selection of meals, is mindboggling. One must recognize the difficulty in this.
In the old days, RCL offered Lobster and Beef Wellington on the same night. Now it's Lobster and prime rib. Used to be Filet Mignon done to taste, now it's slices of Beef Tenderloin, medium to medium well. These are still good meals, but not like "the old days."
But if you consider the cost of a cruise compared to a resort or hotel and the cost of dining out, paying to travel stop to stop, and paying for nightly entertainment, the value of a cruise is remarkable (not to mention the luxury and fun).
So, that's my take. Sorry I rambled, but I thought if I was going to give you my opinion, you need to know the background.
Just remember, the worst day of cruising is better than the best day of anything else.
PARTY ON!!!
Old 07-11-2012, 05:50 AM
OMG.....thanks for the read. I agree with you on your statement " the worst day of cruising is better than the best day of anything else. " No matter the questions I ask I still love me some cruising and have from the very first one I did. Freedom of the Seas, I was in love.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-11-2012, 06:27 AM
I'm am officially one month out from my Oasis cruise. Stop me if you've heard this before on this forum..but I'm as excitied as I was before my first cruise. It's funny before you know what to expect, It's an amazing feeling, but when you DO know what to expect, it's even better.
I'm going with a friend who's a first time cruiser. It's time to start putting my bag together, and of course shopping.....
And he best part is I just made my final payment on my next cruise, so I know I can come home without the need of counseling.

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 07-11-2012, 02:11 PM
That feeling you get walking up the gangway never changes, does it Marsha.

Tags
back, carribean, cooking, cruises, filet, grand, long, mignon, oasis, powered, ship, suite, vbulletin