Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Smile Fountain Packages
Good day all, I see the fountain drink packages are like $42 per adult. Has anyone used this package and is it worth it on a 7 day cruise? Is it unlimited? Are the fountain drinks real drinks or are they slightly watered down like in some places that have weak sodas?

I kind of get tired of water and lemon aide and would like a soda with dinner and maybe any other time I want one.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-03-2012, 10:09 AM

Spiritfilled.
That comes to about $6 per day for a seven day cruise. That would equate to 3 cokes a day. My husband drinks a lot of diet coke and often gets the coke package. Often it is fountain coke, but I have been seeing them lately opening cans and pouring the soda from the can.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:12 AM

Hi Spiritfilled.

The soda package is expensive, as you stated. In order for that to pay off, you'd have to drink 3 sodas per day. If you think you'll be drinking that much, then it's worth it. Otherwise it's $2.00 or so for a can of soda, if I remember right. The soda package is unlimited, and it is fountain soda. They'll either give you a very small cup with that, or you can bring your souvenir mug, which you should get when you get your first soda onboard, or if you purchase the soda package on board.

If you do decide to get a soda at dinner, my understanding is the waiter will have to go to a bar to get it. I'm not sure if this holds true if you don't have the fountain soda package, as they may have cans of soda in the kitchen.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 07-04-2012, 05:17 PM

Spiritfilled,

Husband and I both got soda package on our last cruise, and will get it again on upcoming cruisein Nov. (both cruises were(are) on Freedom. Like everyone stated it's worth price if you drink 3 or more soda's a day. On last cruise we went to a specality rest. and I wanted a sprit zero, they asked for my room card and was told I could not get soda..I didn't complain..I probally needed to drink more water anyway..Only happened once.
I also used mug for coffee..I need bigger cups than what is offered for coffee..esp. in morning . Also used it for juice too. They did fill it up for me with both juice and coffee at Windjammers.

There is a sensor on bottom of mug..You need to line it up correctly on machine or soda will not come out. This happened with mine on 1st attempt (husbands worked fine). NOT a big deal..I got wait staff to help and they could not figure out how to resolve problem...So they gave me a new mug..problem solved in less than a minute. Also they gave both of us 2 different colored mugs, so we knew who's was who's.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:23 PM

Spiritfilled

Candice brought up a good point that I didn't mention before regarding the self serve soda fountains. These are for the passengers that have purchased the soda package. As stated, there is a chip in the mug which will activate the machine, so other passengers don't try to get the fountain soda that have not paid for the package. However, there were a couple issues that I found with that.

The first one was with the wind. The self serve fountain is on the pool deck, if I'm remembering right. At least, that's where it was on the Freedom of the Seas. Because of the wind at sea, the soda wasn't going straight down into the mug, but rather to the side. The other thing is that the mug has to be placed just so in order for the fountain to work. I thought I had positioned it correctly at first, but found I had to adjust it slightly. I found it easier just to go to a bar and have them fill it. They may ask to see your SeaPass card, to make sure you purchased the soda package.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 07-09-2012, 05:41 AM
Thanks guys, I am not sure if I drink that many sodas in a day but who knows so this was very helpful, again thanks.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:29 PM

Just a quick note, my wife gets a soda package every cruise. I doubt she drinks enough to break even, but it makes life much easier. In the grand scheme of things it is pretty cheap if you are a soda drinker. She drinks a lot of Club Soda in lieu of bar drinks. It is way easier to simply show the card and ask for a drink than go through the hassle of signing, etc. for a soda. Also it's nice around the pool deck. Saves me leg work too because if she wants a soda and I want a beer, she needs to order hers so she gets mine too. For a lazy guy like me that, alone, is worth the card.

Tags
caribb, cokes, cost, cruise, drink, enchantment, fountain, freedom, package, plan, prices, royal, seas, ship, soda