Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 09:32 AM

Post First time Cruiser
We are going on our first cruise to the Bahamas leaving out of Port Canveral Fl on the Monarch of the Seas.. our only thing is that we are driving from princeton wv. and i know its a long drive lol... but we are so excited, i just want to get some inside details to anyone that has been on the Monarch of the Seas and give us some heads up on our trip :-)
Old 07-12-2012, 10:50 AM

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Administrator

How exciting! The Monarch is currently the oldest ship in the Royal Caribbean fleet and will be transferred to Pullmantur cruises in Spain next April. At one time she shared the title of largest cruise ship in the world but is now considered small. Time marches on.

The Monarch (and sister ship Majesty Of The Seas) have a loyal following and the ship offers a great value and introduction to cruising.

Some things to note: the standard outside and inside cabins are very small at ~119 square feet. Is this the category cabin you have? Despite the small size they are very well laid out and fine for a short cruise. However if you have more than two people in the cabin you will need to coordinate your shower/dressing times.

Monarch has a sushi bar that is great. It does carry an ala carte fee but it is worth it.

When is your cruise?
Old 07-12-2012, 01:25 PM

I love the Monarch. I've been on her 5x and doing a back to back on her in September. I like the Monarch for that intimacy of the smaller ship. She is in good shape for her age. A little bit of wear up on the Lido deck exposed to the elements, but inside the lounges look nice. I find the food very good and the service excellent. They will have great Mongolian BBQ up in the Windjammer one night during the cruise. My last time on the Monarch I even talked to the Windjammer Chef to find out what night the Mongolian would be. It's that good!
A nice spot for a cocktail before or after dinner is the Schooner bar or Viking Crown Lounge. If you want to go to any of the major shows then arrive about 1/2 hour early.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Administrator

The Schooner Bar is my favorite lounge on all Royal Caribbean ships. The Schooner on Monarch is also in a great location.

One thing I like about the Sovereign class of ships is the entertainment venues all being stacked on the aft of the ship. Just go up and down the steps or in the elevators and hit all the shows and music.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:02 PM

Dave, agree on Schooner Bar. Fell in love with it on Grandeur in 1998 and still is the best place on RCCL ships. Became a fanatical lover of Vanilla White Russians in the Schooner Bar after dinner.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:57 AM

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-13-2012, 04:58 AM

we are staying in room 3077 inside statroom
Old 07-13-2012, 08:32 AM
Administrator

I notice you are posting messages that contain just the cruise countdown ticker. I also see it is not in your forum signature block of your user profile.

If you have the BB code string for the ticker, just go to your 'User CP' at the top left of this screen. Open it. Then look down the left side for
'edit signature'. Click it. You will then see two blocks. The bottom one is where you paste the ticker BB code. Save it and then it will appear every time you make a post.

Cabin 3077...well, you don't have to walk far to get to the elevators and stairs, main dining room, or the Centrum!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Hi Cruiser 2012
I've never cruised from PC or been on the Monarch...but I live to cruise. Are you driving down the day before? You should certainly consider it. Many ports have stay and cruise packages that will let you leave your car and provide you with a shuttle to the ship. That way you will be well rested and ready to appreciate the WOW factor when you step on board. It's a much beter feeling than the 'oh my God I'm exhausted, we just barely made the ship feeling of running into trafffic.
I hope you'll use these boards to search for information about anthing that worries/concerns or interests you.
Ask lots of questions and be prepared to become addicted to a whole new past time

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers

Tags
beer, bucket, caribbean, cau, coco, credit, drinks, excursion, miami, parking, port, post, pricing, royal, shore, site, time