Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   Gift certificates and soda packages (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/38476-gift-certificates-soda-packages.html)

Candice R 10-02-2012 07:03 AM

Gift certificates and soda packages

I had purchased gift certificates ($100 so far). Our cruise is already paid in full, So GC's would be used for onboard items such as specialty restaurants, spa, etc. We will bring cash (we would rather bring all cash so we do not have to use a credit card). I have not put GC's on our "account" yet (we have 61 days to go :)). When I put GC's on "account" now (if I can), can I purchase soda packages (2) with the GC's? Or should I wait till 1st day of cruise? I was informed (I believe by Dave) that when you board and you have GC's they use GC's first than they use the cash/credit cards. So it really does not matter when I get soda packages. Was just wondering if I can do this?

Thanks

Dave 10-02-2012 08:13 AM

I'd wait and buy soda packages on the ship. It only takes a minute. The only advantage to doing it online is your cruise card will have the sticker on it when you check-in, and I've seen them mess that up. Plus they place the souvenir cup in your cabin...again I've seen them forget that.

Candice R 10-02-2012 08:43 AM

Dave,

So if we wait and we go a restaurant will they know we have the soda package? On our last cruise we pre ordered package and did get the sticker (round colored smiley face), do we still get the sticker?

Thanks Dave

Candice R 10-02-2012 08:44 AM

Dave,

When can I put the GC's on our "account"..Should of posted that on last post

Dave 10-02-2012 09:29 AM

When you buy it at one of the bars or soda card stations they set up on embarkation day they put a sticker on your card and hand you the souvenir cup. Gift certificates cannot be redeemed onboard. You have to apply them to your cruise no later than 10 days before sailing. Look here

Candice R 10-02-2012 09:45 AM

Thanks Dave. You have probally answered that question a million times already...And a lot of those answers were probally directed at me.

Jim1012 10-02-2012 10:14 AM

Gift Cards

Also, it IS possible to use only cash to back up your Sea Pass Card; you do not have to use a credit card. If I'm remembering properly, the ship will limit your "credit" to lumps of $500.00, and then notify you that you have reached that limit, and ask you to set up another lump payment, or something similiar to that process. I'm remembering when my whole family was on Liberty back a few years, the dock people who checked us in somehow screwed up my credit card that I had given them for cruise expenses, and had set our room up as a "cash account". This was back when we boarded ship in Miami, and it was a total cluster at that port and time. If this has changed (cash accounts), another here will let us both know. we were on Freedom last Fall-she's a great ship!! Have a great cruise!!

Dave 10-02-2012 11:35 AM

On an Alaska cruise out of Seattle they had a pier issue with credit cards and about 300 of us had to report to guest relations so they could rescan the cards...and this was 3 days into the cruise. Some were irate about it, but really, what else could the cruise line do? I just waited until there was no line and took care of it. They hadn't suspended anyone's cruise account so I didn't see the reason for outrage.

Jim1012 10-03-2012 10:30 AM

GF's

Agreed Dave-the service desk on board straightened it out as soon a I found out about the problem when one of the kids tried to use the sea pass card and it was denied. That was the first and only time it ever happened; the port issue was obviously solved by RCI when the basically left Miami all together. With that many people trying to board, I know that not every port is going to have smooth sailing, but it just seemed to me that the Miami people went out of their way to not be "helpful". New Orleans was a mess too, but they have an excuse for it not being smoother, what with the terminal area being under construction and all; but they too still had some issues that could have been done a little better. I guess it may be more me than anything else. When it's just the wife and I, I don't get upset; but when things happen while you're trying to show others, for THEIR first time, how great a vacation they're about to have, it gets a little silly when there is just poor planning and execution. I'll have to say that many of our cruises have been out or Port Canaveral, and WE have never had a problem, but I'm sure there are some other who may have. My line of work stresses doing it right the first time, and I tend, after 38 years of work, to expect the same from those NOT in my line of work; it's a flaw.........................

Dave 10-03-2012 10:48 AM

Our best embarkations with RCI have happened at the Oasis/Allure terminal and at Baltimore, which is really an easy port to get in and out of.