Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Default Royal Caribbean Moves To Automatic Gratuities
I have not received a press release on this, instead I just got an e-mail regarding our upcoming Oasis cruise:

---------------------------------------------------

We look forward to welcoming you onboard for your upcoming Royal Caribbean International cruise vacation!

As you prepare to set sail, we wanted to notify you of a change to our gratuity policy. As of March 1, 2013, Royal Caribbean will add an automatic daily gratuity of $12.00 USD ($14.25 USD for Suite guests) to the onboard account of each guest to be shared by Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants and Other Housekeeping Services Personnel that work to enhance your cruise. This gratuity replaces our previously recommended gratuity guidelines.

If you have already prepaid gratuities for your upcoming cruise, this policy change will not affect you. Accordingly, we will not apply the daily gratuity to your account while you are onboard. If you have not prepaid your gratuities, you will see the daily automatic gratuity applied to your onboard SeaPassŪ account during your upcoming cruise.

Please contact your travel agent with any questions and thank you for choosing to cruise with us.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International
Old 02-15-2013, 04:37 PM
Cool Tips
I received this today also Dave, but we have already factored into the cruise costs our daily tips to the crew and wait staff. If we've already set them up, will there be a notification of the people that we have tipped them, since I understand that the envelopes have been cancelled as well? If we wish to tip over and above for exceptional service, do we now just hand them the cash, or will there be a subtiler way to give them a little extra?

Need some cruise help?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Administrator

The crew up until now gets a sheet telling them who has done the pre-paid gratuities. Of course it won't matter in a couple weeks. Beyond March 1, you can obtain envelopes at Guest Relations if you want to give more in tips in a subtle manner and not simply hand them cash, although when it comes to bar staff I've never used envelopes so I guess it shouldn't matter much with the cabin and dining staff. I'm sure they don't mind how the money is given to them!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:12 PM

I think it's about time. One of my pet peeves is when people don't show up on the last night of the cruise because they don't want to tip their waiters. I guess I won't be annoyed by that anymore. The Windjammer won't be as crowded either.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Thumbs up Tips
Sonny, couldn't agree with you more on the no-class not going to dinner on the last day so as not to have to tip. Even if you weren't totally happy with their service, they still brought you your food and took away your garbage. Have a spine and tell them you weren't happy, and WHY. It was a vacation, not a 5-star restaurant!! I always tip over the pre-paid for our waiter and assistant, and more so for our cabin attendant; I'm a basic slob, so they more than earn some extra..............

Need some cruise help?
Old 02-16-2013, 01:03 PM

I have this thing about keeping my cabin neat and tidy. I don't make the bed and I don't do windows. I never use to be this way...it must be an age thing. I'm that way at home too but my wife never tips me.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Administrator

I keep a neat cabin too. One the back-to-back cruises in December my steward really only had to make the bed and clean the bathroom, dump the waste cans. He only needed 10 minutes max each day and often less. Man, you walk by some cabins and glance in and it looks like a tornado hit them.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Red face Tips
Ok, so I over-spoke; I am the house neatfreak. I agree that I usually keep the cabin CLOSE to neat; at least I try..................

Need some cruise help?
Old 02-17-2013, 12:03 PM
I had to laugh at Dave's comment. We put everyhing away and keep it neat too and we have walked by others and wondered how could the cabin steward clean with all those piles of stuff everywhere. We just enjoy it more if it isn't a mess, plus I hate clutter ! I always say it looks like the Salvation Army blow up )

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 02-17-2013, 01:16 PM

Just came off the Allure of the Seas this morning. I had pre-paid my tips for My Time Dining. Our cabin steward still put extra envelopes with the titles on them in our cabin with our new luggage tags.

Tags
automatic, caribbean, comments, concierge, cruise, gratuities, gratuity, guidelines, lounge, plan, prepaid, rccl, reviews, royal, suggested, tips, week