Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2004, 08:40 AM

We have begun our countdown to our very first cruise (17 days!!!!!!), but now we have a concern about the hurricane possibly hitting our ports, or even our docking area (Ft. Lauderdale). Does anyone know what happens in situations like this. Anxious in Detroit.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:40 AM

We have begun our countdown to our very first cruise (17 days!!!!!!), but now we have a concern about the hurricane possibly hitting our ports, or even our docking area (Ft. Lauderdale). Does anyone know what happens in situations like this. Anxious in Detroit.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:28 AM
Banned

Blessed
This has been a very actice hurricane season in Florida. As you know we were hit by Charley 3 weeks ago today. As of yesterday the 2nd of Sept. all the ports in Florida are closed to all shipping.Frances is knocking on the door and has slowed considerably this could effect the channels where the ships come in and out. If a lot of sand washes into them they will have to be dregded. The terminal buildings could suffer great damage as they are so close to the Ocean on the east coast. Tampa is not to bad because it is inland.Weather goes through cycles and we are going through ours now. It seems to run in 40-50 year cycles. I hope this helps and I will say this I am not looking forward to another hurricane.
Tom
Old 09-03-2004, 09:30 AM

I have been watching all the news etc on hurricane Francis this past few days. I just want to say that our thaughts and prayers are with everyone in Florida at home and at sea. I really hope it is not as bad as it could be.
We go on our first ever cruise this time next September so are very worried that the same will happen. All flights to Florida have been cancelled here until Monday.

Blessed, I do hope you make your cruise in 17 days. Have a great time.

Regards
Tessa
Old 09-06-2004, 01:05 PM
Banned

It looks like we lucked out this time. It could have been so much worse if it had'nt lost strenght.At one point it was a CAT#4,but when it came ashore it was down to a CAT#1 so I am thankful for that. It looks like next weekend it will be IVAN. This is getting to be an every weekend thing, and geting old also I might add.Good luck to all that are sailing the 11th and 12th from Florida, hope you make it.
Tom
Old 09-06-2004, 01:53 PM

Glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been, Tom! Bad enough, since it lasted so long!

In response to "blessed" earlier - if the hurricane threatens the ports of call on a cruise itinerary, the captain just changes the itinerary. If it threatens the port of embarkation, you could end up with a shorter or longer cruise than originally planned. At worst, you might return to a different port than you left from, but that's a very rare occurrence. All the cruise lines were offering compensation (onboard credit, coupons toward future cruises, the opportunity to cancel without penalty) to passengers affected by the hurricane, and the airlines waived all change and cancel penalties for Florida flights as well. My clients got an extra day on their cruise, at no additional charge!

In any case, the cruise lines err on the side of caution - they don't want unhappy passengers or damaged ships!
Old 09-07-2004, 06:58 PM

WE ARE TO LEAVE FOR COZUMEL SEPT 9 FROM TAMPA. I'M A LITTLE CONCERNED ABOUT IVAN DURING OUR CRUISE. I CALLED CRUISE LINES AND THEY DIDN'T SEEM TO THINK I SHOULD HAVE ANY WORRIES AS THEY ASSURED ME THE CAPTAIN WILL SAIL AWAY FROM THE STORMS. HOWEVER, WILL THE GULF WATERS STILL BE ACTIVE FROM FRANCES. HAS ANYONE JUST GOTTEN BACK AND HAVE ANY ENCOURAGING WORDS FOR ME :]
quote:
Originally posted by thomas stanton:
It looks like we lucked out this time. It could have been so much worse if it had'nt lost strenght.At one point it was a CAT#4,but when it came ashore it was down to a CAT#1 so I am thankful for that. It looks like next weekend it will be IVAN. This is getting to be an every weekend thing, and geting old also I might add.Good luck to all that are sailing the 11th and 12th from Florida, hope you make it.
Tom

Closed Thread

Tags
carribean, concerns, cruise, december, weather