Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 01:15 PM
Administrator

The Grandeur has been moved from the cruise terminal to the Grand Bahamas Shipyard for repairs. Investigations are ongoing by several bodies including the Bahamian Maritime Authority, NTSB, US Coast Guard, and Det Norske Veritas (a Norwegian equivalent of Lloyd's).

RCI has not announced whether additional cruises will be canceled, but given the damage they will no doubt be cancelling more cruises (I'd say at least 2 or 3 more).
Old 05-29-2013, 02:27 PM
Administrator

I was off a bit in my prediction. RCI has just announced that the Grandeur will be out of service until July 12. All those on the additional five cancelled cruises will receive a full refund plus a 25% discount future cruise credit. Those on the cruise that was supposed to commence this Friday get 50% off a future cruise. Six cruises in total have been cancelled.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I was off a bit in my prediction. RCI has just announced that the Grandeur will be out of service until July 12. All those on the additional five cancelled cruises will receive a full refund plus a 25% discount future cruise credit. Those on the cruise that was supposed to commence this Friday get 50% off a future cruise. Six cruises in total have been cancelled.
I feel so bad for people why are waiting for vacation.
To bad. But I am sure they will be back with RCI. I can't wait for my cruise with Freedom, June 30.
I am glad Sonny is good.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:01 AM

The time frame sounds about right. Its not just a matter of painting and cleaning, they will also need to pass the USCG inspection before they will allow it to operate from the US again. Which means they will need to show they replaced any systems damaged by the fire. Also i would be that getting the custom carpeting for the lounge and the windows my take awhile. (although you would think since there are multiple ships of this class that they would have stock of windows and basic parts somewhere that they could tap.) Those people that thought it would just be a matter of new paint and a good scrubbing were obviously wrong. Let's hope that once they get done with the damage inspection and removing damaged equipment that they don't find anything further that needs to be replaced.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 05-30-2013, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Sonny called me last night. He said a lot of the structural steel was buckled from the heat and from his professional background he knew it was not going to be a quick fix. His cabin was in the aft corner of deck 7 and apparently the crew ran hoses through it to fight the fire from above. Sonny also said he heard some banging noises, like something falling and hitting the deck hard. This could be the 'explosions' some other guests say they heard. People at his muster station had it easier than others since their normal station was not safe to use, so they were redirected to the theater and got to sit and wait instead of standing.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:46 PM

If the steel did warp, that is going to be the hard thing to repair. Getting correctly sized replacement fabricated will take some time and tore harden steel is not an easy task. Probably easier to replace it then try that.

I have wondered about the reported explosions... maybe fire extinguishers blowing up? Or maybe there were air tanks or something in the area that exploded?
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 05-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Administrator

That's exactly what Sonny said, that it takes a while to get replacement steel fabricated.

I was reading about the hazards of polymers in a fire. Some pretty nasty gases are released.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cica View Post
I feel so bad for people why are waiting for vacation.
To bad. But I am sure they will be back with RCI. I can't wait for my cruise with Freedom, June 30.
I am glad Sonny is good.
Yeah, I hope this isn't enough to stop people from cruising, in general or with RCI. I know people will have mixed reactions after something like this. For my upcoming cruise, RCI's schedule didn't work with what I wanted to do, which is why I went with Princess. It'll be a nice comparison, for me to compare the lines.

Cica, I notice you'll leave on the same day I leave on my cruise, although different lines and itineraries. You to the Caribbean, me to Alaska. Enjoy! I can't wait for mine!
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 05-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
That's exactly what Sonny said, that it takes a while to get replacement steel fabricated.

I was reading about the hazards of polymers in a fire. Some pretty nasty gases are released.
I remember a police officer telling us that when the Vinyl burns it produces phosgene gas - that was used in WWI.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:25 PM

I was told that the explosion was the liquor storage for the crew. I was standing on the bathroom floor when I heard it, and it felt as if someone hit the floor from the bottom with a sledge hammer. The smell of the smoke seemed to burn by nostrils a little, so I figured it was somewhat toxic. It reminded me of burning plastic. The inside of my cabin didn't have any damage even though I was directly above the fire on deck 7 - cabin 7650.

I can't give enough praise to all the crew members on how well they handled the crises. The passengers were great too. Everyone I saw seemed calm and did everything we were told to do in a very orderly fashion.

I received an email this evening stating everyone would be getting 7 extra points from Crown and Anchor. I though that was a great gesture. I'll be getting 21 points which gives me a total of 690. I'll become a Pineapple on my September 8th sailing on the Explore. Thank you Royal Caribbean!

Last edited by Sonny V; 05-31-2013 at 11:27 PM.

Tags
aboard, enchantment, fire, gradeur, grandeur, junior, progress, reviews, sea, seas, suites