Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 06:48 AM
Unhappy Fire Aboard the Grandeur of the Seas
CNN is reporting that a fire broke out aboard the Grandeur of the Seas about 3 AM Monday (Memorial Day) morning in the Aft section of the ship. There are no reports of casualties and the fire has been extinguished. Passengers Were ordered to muster stations. The ship , sailing out of Baltimore, is headed to Freeport Bahamas for evaluation. A Carnival Lines ship is standing by in case any evacuation is neccessary!

BillyBuzzy
Old 05-27-2013, 07:01 AM
Administrator

The fire was in the aft mooring deck. Although the Captain mustered the passengers and crew, at no time was their an imminent risk and the ship maintained normal power and all other hotel services.

I think Sonny is aboard this sailing so we'll have some expert eyewitness accounts on what happened.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:09 AM
Administrator

First photo of the damage, just taken in Freeport. https://twitter.com/RoyalCaribPR/status/339031221185171457/photo/1
Old 05-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Administrator

The ship will overnight in Freeport. Guests are free to go ashore as they would in any port, or stay aboard. Here is the latest press release.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Image of the South Pacific Lounge damage.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Default Grandeur Fire Update #1
Press Release
Old 05-27-2013, 01:02 PM

Wow, amazing photos. I'm hoping Royal Caribbean is paying for the hotels for those passengers that were in staterooms affected by the fire, or at least a portion of it.

I know the excursions in CocoCay and other scheduled ports of call will get refunded, but I often wonder what happens for those guests that want to explore Freeport. I guess they just have to do research on their own, and find tour vendors near the dock, as opposed to booking shore excursions through Royal Caribbean, since this wasn't an originally scheduled port of call.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 05-27-2013, 02:47 PM
A big thank you to Dave. You are always so fast with reports on all issues. It is really appreciated. I always go here first when I hear something has happened in the Cruising Industry.
Thank you Dave !

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 05-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the compliment!

The current cruise has been ended because of the damage. Guests will be flown to Baltimore tomorrow. Besides a full refund for the current cruise they will also receive a future cruise credit equal to what they paid for this cruise. Guests in cabins that are not habitable because of water damage from the firefighting effort are being housed in hotels on the island.

I've been in contact with Sonny V who was in a Junior Suite on deck 7 aft - directly above the fire scene - and he tells me everything was professionally managed and the crew (no surprise) went above and beyond the call of duty to make guests comfortable. Sonny said he'll call me when he gets home and we'll get a full report from him too.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Thank you for the update on SonnyV!

And, I agree with janfred.

Tags
aboard, enchantment, fire, gradeur, grandeur, junior, progress, reviews, sea, seas, suites