Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Smile Grandeur of the Seas
Well I was perusing RCCL's web and found a nice itinerary for Nov or Dec on the Grandeur of Seas. So easy to get to out of Baltimore from here, just a 3 1/2 hour drive. I have never been on RCCL but I have been wanting to try this line. I am Diamond on this line only because of Celebrity so my questions are is there a Diamond Club on this ship? I know some of you have been on this ship so tell me your thoughts on this ship. I think this is the ship that had the fire and Sonny was on it. Between Sonny and Dave I think you can set me straight ! Do they do a private breakfast for Diamond everyday ? I just read so much about RCCL I want to go and check it all out! I love the stop in Key West on a Celebrity Cruise awhile back we had to by past that Port and I have never been.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 07-07-2013, 06:53 PM

Yes, there is a Diamond lounge on Deck 6 in the South Pacific Lounge. Grandeur Of The Seas Deck Six - Royal Caribbean International

They do have a special Diamond Breakfast in the main dinning room. Just ask one of the waiters when you walk in.

The Grandeur had a complete overhaul just before the fire. I didn't have much time to really explore the ship so I can't tell you too much first hand experiences. Remember, the Grandeur is a Vision Class Ship which is much smaller than the larger class ship built after the Vision Class.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Thank you so much Sonny, smaller is really no problem for us at all! Sometimes when I see the ship is a smaller one my only fear is that it is old and has not been thru a refurb in a long time. RCCL I do know they just did a refurb on all their ships. Looking forward to finally getting on RCCL ! We think this is a nice easy getaway, don't you?

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Last edited by janfred; 07-07-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Administrator

I've been on Grandeur twice, both were before any of the upgrades were done. I look at this class of ship as being 'comfortable' and you can get anywhere in under five minutes. The thing with RCI is the long-term crew members tend to want to stick to a certain class of ships, so with the Vision Class you have a lot of crew who have been there for many years, and so forth. I think the Vision Class is perhaps the closest to the 'old style' of cruising that are still in service, after the Majesty Of The Seas.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Thank you Dave, we both like old style cruising. I just really look for good food, service, happy crew, good entertainment and beautiful ship and I am good to go.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 07-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Very well said, janfred; is that too much to ask for? I think not; but as ships get bigger and bigger it gets harder to find. I love Holland Americas smaller ships, like Veendam; and I loved Princess' Sun Class ships, for the reasons you just said.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janfred View Post
Thank you Dave, we both like old style cruising. I just really look for good food, service, happy crew, good entertainment and beautiful ship and I am good to go.
To give you a comparison to Celebrity, the Grandeur is probably closest in size to the Celebrity Century to give you a size comparison.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:08 AM
Cruise Fanatic
I am happy to see you say it compares to the Century. We were just talking about how we love the Solstice Class but we always say how our favorite is the Century!
f-mattox
We are with you, smaller is better to us too. I think that is why I am always looking at Azamara now and thinking I must give it a try, 690 passengers sounds about right to us!
Really looking forward to finally getting onboard RCCL !

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 07-08-2013, 01:25 PM

Janfred, I am boarding Grandeur of the Seas for a special one-night "cruise" this week. I'll report back here with details about how she looks now.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Thank you Sandy, I look forward to reading your report !!

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Tags
caribbean, cocktail, cruises, diamond, forum, grandeur, granduer, lounge, review, royal, sea, seas, ships, shower, specials, updated