Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   Legend of the Seas (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/39732-legend-seas.html)

Nadine 07-08-2013 08:55 AM

Legend of the Seas

I would like to know more about the Legend. After doing some searching, I still can't find the info I need.

My questions:

How old is the ship?
When was she refurbished?
How would she compare to Grandeur? We have been on Grandeur twice (in the old days).

Thanks for your help!

Nadine

Cruise Fanatic 07-08-2013 09:37 AM

Legend came out in 1995 and refurbished in Feb 2013. Tonnage wise is less than 5000 ton smaller than Grandeur. The Grandeur and Legend are both Vision Class ships.

Dave 07-08-2013 12:33 PM

The Vision class is a bit confusing because even though they call it a single class of ships, it really is three pairs of sister ships and thus more correctly three sub-classes. Plus, when Enchantment was stretched it broke one pair up and so you have 4 sub-classes!

If that isn't enough confusion, the class is named for the last ship built and not the first! Vision Of The Seas was the last of the six ships to enter service.

The three 'sub-classes' are: Legend and Splendour, Grandeur and Enchantment (but not really anymore), and the Rhapsody and Vision. The first two are the most different, and the last four are the closest alike.

Nadine 07-08-2013 12:56 PM

Thank you for the quick responses! It will be quite different to sail on a smaller ship after being on the Navigator for our last two cruises. Because we are cruising through the Panama Canal, I think the smaller ship is required. We did a partial transit on the Jewel a few years ago, which just whetted our appetite for doing a full transit.

Thanks again for the info.

Nadine

f-mattox 07-08-2013 03:30 PM

Dave, thank you for demystifying the Vision Class; I've never quite understood it. And I'm struck by the similarities with Princess' Grand Class. Grand Class is the blanket name for nine ships but it is really three sets of sisters and one hybrid. Grand Princess, Golden Princess and Star Princess started life as sisters, as did Diamond Princess and Sapphire Princess. Caribbean Princess is a one-of-a-kind; then came Crown Princess, Emerald Princess and Ruby Princess. To add to the confusion, Diamond, Sapphire, Emerald and Ruby are often (mistakenly) referred to as "Gem Class" but they are the least alike of any of the sub classes.

Ah, sweet mysteries.

Dave 07-08-2013 04:45 PM

I guess they wanted to keep it simple (??) and not have too many classes. The Vision class has a 10,000 ton spread between the six ships, and the first two bear hardly no resemblance to the other four. Four were built by Chantiers l'Atlantique in France and the other two by Kvaerner in Finland. I think these yards all later became STX under one company.

f-mattox 07-08-2013 05:26 PM

There is only an 8,000 ton spread between The Princess Nine, and all were built by Fincantieri except Diamond and Sapphire, which were built in Japan by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, who incidentally built the new turbines that were the eventual downfall of the San Onofre NGS . . . but I'm getting off topic.

Oddly enough, in spite of being built over a ten year span, the ships are pretty hard to tell apart, the only two giveaways being the additional deck of cabins on Caribbean, Crown, Emerald and Ruby, and the repositioning of Skywalker's from the "spoiler" at the very back to a lower position and a little more forward on all ships except Grand, Golden, Star and Caribbean--and they have since removed it from Grand altogether.