Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   Has anyone done the canaries? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/39780-has-anyone-done-canaries.html)

poormom 08-16-2013 05:06 AM

Has anyone done the canaries?

I have the opportunity to do a cruise on the Indy out of Southampton going to Spain, Portugal and the Canary Islands. Has anyone done this Itinirerary?
I'm a little nervous as I've never been to Europe before, but it sounds intriguing

janfred 08-16-2013 05:20 AM

Poormom,
Why are you nervous about going to Europe. I go to Europe all the time and wish I could go more often. I also lived there for 2 yeas. Now I have not been to Portugal or the Canary Islands but would jump on that in a heart beat !!

poormom 08-16-2013 05:24 AM

Maybe nervous is the wrong word...I'll be traveling alone. Just the little stuff...time changes, connections, when to book, where to stay, Euros and pounds sterling...that kind of stuff! Just waiting to see if I can get the time off, then I'm there. October 3rd

janfred 08-16-2013 05:33 AM

I know what you mean, last year I went to Europe twice and my husband could not go. I am a wreck with flying and don't like it. We were just talking about that the other day and I said, "I can't believe I flew over to Europe twice" it depends how bad you want something !! I was so darn proud of myself and I was just fine. I hope you go, it will be wonderful. Keep us posted ;OD

Cruise Fanatic 08-16-2013 03:43 PM

I second Janfred. I've wanted to do Canaries with Morocco but haven't made it yet. I was stationed in the Azores with the Air Force which belong to Portugal. Spain, Portugal, and Canary islands are all on Euro so that won't be bad. The Euro is easy. The plane ride from Boston to London won't be bad. Try to get some sleep on the plane, read some magazines, watch a movie, you'll get served dinner and probably breakfast, and before you know it you're there! Hmmm. Maybe I should start a gals travel club for us women that love to travel, but the men can't always go!

poormom 08-16-2013 04:28 PM

Honestly, I think flying into an English speaking country really simplifies things. Now to sweet talk my boss into giving me that vacation time...

billybuzzy 08-16-2013 06:35 PM

poormom.....We shall be sailing to the Canaries, Madeira and Morocco Dec 2014 and are absolutely fascinated with those locations (all of which shall be new to Us). Make sure Your Credit Card companies are advised as to Your travel, obtain a modest supply of English Pounds and Euros in advance......purchase more at a bank as needed in the host country. Relax and enjoy!!! English is surprisingly in widespread use and have a English/Spanish phrase book handy.......try to memorize the basics (Ex. Where is the Bathroom?)......Pick up some 2-4 year old guidebooks via Ebay......pack lightly.....and Your good to go!!!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy

Cruise Fanatic 08-16-2013 06:45 PM

I just bought the newest Nexus7 tablet. I love the google feature where I can talk to it and it will translate different languages.

LisaP 08-16-2013 06:52 PM

I have not been to the Canary Islands, but I agree with janfred, billybuzzy, and Cruise Fanatic on traveling to Europe. We've done several cruises in Europe, most recently out of Copenhagen last month. On that one, we had six countries and four currencies. Typically, the currency on the ship will be $US. In port, we used local currency (that we got in small bills before leaving home) and used credit cards for larger purchases. There are less expensive ways of using foreign currency, yet we didn't mind too much as we really didn't spend much.

We've also been through Heathrow several times, and had connections there last month. I agree with Cruise Fanatic that the Boston to London flights are pretty easy. It's not much longer than flying across the U.S. We have a favorite hotel in London that is located near Buckingham Palace, and I'm sure other members have their favorites as well. The transfer from London to Southampton is about 2 hours - I suggest using cruise line transfers for ease.

I say - go for it.

LisaP 08-16-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruise Fanatic (Post 299030)
I just bought the newest Nexus7 tablet. I love the google feature where I can talk to it and it will translate different languages.

Additionally, Celebrity recently launched what they call a language and culture app for iOS and Android. I downloaded the free version and there is a lot on there, including a voice translator and built-in phrases such as, "how do I get back to my ship."