Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 10:50 AM
Thumbs up Explorer OTS
Does anyone know if, or when, Explorer has/will be upgraded? Does she have a Diamond Lounge? Next repositioning cruise to be on her next November, 2014 and have to decide if I want to spend the extra bucks for a GS, or my ususal JS. LOVE Mariner, so looking to compare Voyager class ships-been on Voyager and Mariner before.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Explorer's Royal Advantage enhancements have been pushed back to February 2015.

If you want to see a current status of all the ships look at this website for a PDF file.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:34 PM

Jim, the Explorer was the second "Voyager" built out of 5. The first 3 are practically identical and the Navigator and Mariner had a few minor changes. There is no Diamond Lounge on the explorer but they have been serving complementary wine, champagne, and soda to Diamond Members in the Maharajah's Lounge on deck 5 every evening from 4:30 pm until 8:00 pm. Diamond Plus and Pinnacle member could go there also but they could have other complementary cocktail.

I personally wouldn't pay the extra $ to bump up to a GS. You can buy a lot of goodies for the difference in price. Some people may think having a GS is worth it for the perks of the Gold Card.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:04 AM
Cool Explorer
I'm pretty sure that we'll go with our usual JS, as the prices are flying up even now-seems that these repositioning cruises fill up quickly! I also notice that she doesn't have a Chopps Grill-LOVE that venue-oh well.....
Old 10-18-2013, 10:23 AM
Cool Explorer
Every suite on this up coming cruise is BOOKED!! Balconies and interiors are all that are left!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:28 PM

I'll try to help.

I just check and here's what I found:

JS is available but pricey ($6296.70 total for 2). That's for a guarantee JS, there are no cabin numbers listed so you don't know what cabin number you'll get until one is assigned to you.

A D-3 balcony is ($3626.70 total for 2).

It is a 14 night cruise, but it's still a lot of money. You could book - final payment is a long way off and you have until then to cancel without penalty.

Last edited by Sonny V; 10-18-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Talking Explorer
I'll book something on Brilliance in a few days-Usually like to book a JS for the added room for my "full figure", and for the double points-we'll have to wait and see
Thanks neighbor
Old 10-19-2013, 10:17 AM
Default Btw
What's the difference between a D-1, D-2, and D-3 cabin? Location, or are some larger than others? Like to be mid ship, and usually higher decks to help the wife with her motion sickness-they're slight, but everything helps
Old 10-19-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1012 View Post
What's the difference between a D-1, D-2, and D-3 cabin? Location, or are some larger than others? Like to be mid ship, and usually higher decks to help the wife with her motion sickness-they're slight, but everything helps
All the "D" cabins are the same size, it's the location that makes a difference between 1-2-and 3. The lower the deck the less motion is felt in high seas. I really don't think it makes that much difference, but the main choice would be midship. Do you have a "Next Cruise Booking" to use so you get your $150 OBC? I always have two or three on hand incase a no-brainer deal comes around.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:52 AM
Smile Explorer
Yes, we've used our on board credit when I purchased this cruise from our last New Orleans cruise. Since Explorer is filling up so far in advance, I'll be booking that cruise on Brilliance this weekend. I've also gotten $500 in on board credit from the Visa card (2x$250)
over the last few months, so this two week cruise should be not TOO expensive. You're correct about the price for two in a JS, since that's close to what I paid for my GS this cruise, but I like the extra room, and I usually only get to go once a year and take the time between cruises to pay for the cabin. I prefer higher up (Decks 9 or 10) and mid ships. I'm one of those people for which the cruise IS the ship, and not being much of a site seeing person, I usually stay aboard. This time, tho, we're going to islands we've never been to before, so I'll probably get off and look around. We'll see, as we're also cruising with three other couples we've known for years and camp with around Wisc.