Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Default "Dynamic Dining" Coming To Quantum Class ships
There has been quite a stir the past week over Royal Caribbean announcing there will be no traditional dining format on the Quantum and Anthem Of The Seas. Instead, the "Dynamic Dining" concept will be used. This is a variation of Norwegian's Freestyle, but with no actual 'main dining room' with the usual set of menus that changed nightly. Instead, Royal is counting on people trying the various complimentary and upcharge dining venues.

Royal hasn't come out with a chart of the various dining options yet, however a guy I know on Facebook put one together and he is letting anyone post his link to a file he made. You can see and download the dining list here.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:28 PM
Almost sounds like an attempt to compete with the all inclusive resort theme

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 03-29-2014, 07:23 PM

The jury is still out on this one. I know a lot of research must have gone into this decision All the people who said Oasis and Allure would never sail full have come around and most who try them have a great time experience. I would rather they keep the base price low and let me choose and pay for the upscale things I like. Please don't go the way Carnival has gone by eliminating most live music and replacing it with DJ's to save money. I will be watching to see the turnout for the one with "formal attire" only. I have my doubts it will make it. I have to think Ritas Cantina is on the way out. Worst Mexican food I have eaten in a long time not even up to par with Taco Bell.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Great link, Dave. I wonder where he got the prices. All I was able to find was a scale of $ to $$$$, without any estimates as to what the notations meant.

Marsha, I think that's exactly what they are doing. Earlier this year, I met the founder of one of the popular travel guides. We discussed this new ship for a bit, and he said that the cruise line could save a lot of money by leaving the ship docked in the U.S. as an amusement park -- they would not need a captain, for instance.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:28 AM
I can honestly say that since my first cruise, I have never bought another picture, but I would think that the lack of formal night would take a huge bite out of that revenue stream.
For lots of families, it's the only time they all get cleaned up for a photo op. The lines are always long on formal night.
Although maybe the captains will be happy of they don't have to do so many pictures. That must get tiring week after week.

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 03-30-2014, 06:33 AM

The way RCI is going with these new ships sounds more like visiting a land resort like a Grey Wolf lodge.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:36 AM
Administrator

I think they put out the prices at the tasting event in NYC.

Rita's Cantina on Allure didn't 'wow' me either. Same for the Seafood Shack on Oasis. At least you don't have the deep fryer smell on the Allure. It is noticeable on the Oasis.

On the Serenade in January Rita's was almost vacant all week. I tend to wander around to see how popular the dining venues are and I never saw more than three tables in use at Rita's for lunch or dinner. Same for Izumi. Of course it could have been the make up of the passengers that week. The weather was beautiful so that wasn't an impact.

It isn't clear but it seems Johnny Rockets on Quantum may be going to an ala carte menu, and not solely have a seating fee as is the current method on the other ships.

The prices for the Quantum sure are stout, but the ship seems to be selling well and supporting the fares increasing to those current levels. $1100 per person for an inside cabin on a 8 night cruise to Nassau and Coco Cay. Ouch.

Tags
dining, dynamic, quantum, reviews, seas