Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 06:20 AM
Red face 1st Time Transatlantic
Leaving Barcelona Oct 26th for our first ever Transatlantic cruise on Liberty OTS. Since we've only, in the past, done Caribbean cruises, I'm assuming weather and seas will be totally different. Any ideas for clothing, other needs and weather tips would be helpful. Cruise ends in Fort Lauderdale on November 8th.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:09 PM
Administrator

It shouldn't be cold as most of us define it, but could be cool on the first few evenings. I wouldn't go overboard with packing a lot of heavy clothes. Maybe a windbreaker and a sweater at most. I'd pack more long pants than shorts. In a way it's like packing for an Alaska cruise.

Seas? No way to know. That is the time of year for cold fronts to cross North America and head out to sea, so it would depend on that happening as to whether you had some wave action. In the Navy I've been in the middle of the Atlantic and had almost glassy seas one day, 20-30 feet seas the next. And of course, it will still be hurricane season.

As for me, I'm waiting until you bring the Liberty over before I board in February for a B2B of 9 days total time (4 night Rock Legends Cruise followed by 5 night regular cruise).
Old 07-08-2014, 09:12 PM

Hi Jim,
We have done that same crossing twice on the Liberty, most recently in Oct 2011 and we had good weather both times. The 25 hour days are a plus. Barcelona is not as crowded and hotels are reasonable compared to the summer months. The hop on hop off bus is an easy way to see the city. Dinners in the city start around nine pm on Las Ramblas and continue till the we hours. In 2011 three ships that were supposed to go to Funchal were diverted to the Canaries due to a storm so i guess the reverse could happen but either way both are worth seeing. I liked playing the progressive trivia each day so if thats something that interests you get in on day one.
We have found Choice Air as the best way to book our flights. One way fares when booking directly through the airlines is discouraging. I don't use them for domestic but the one-way international fares can't be beat.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:17 AM
Thumbs up 1st Time
Casey and Kathy; Choice Air was THE way to go international. When their prices showed up on a major airline, American, I couldn't get out the credit card fast enough. Two one-way fares from Chicago to Barcelona was, total, less than $1000!! Like most men, I can do two weeks with what I could pack in a gym bag, but the wife is worried about what TYPE of clothes to pack for the weather. I'm kinda thinking that once wer
leave the Canarie Island, we should be far enough South to mimic Florida or Atlanta's weather at that time. Like Dave said, a few extra sweaters or sweatshirts and long pants, and we'll be fine. Really looking forward to so many sea days, as to me, the vacation is the ship.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:06 AM
Cool Transatlantic
I just noticed that Vision OTS also sails from Barcelona back to the US for 15 days. Being a smaller ship, has anyone been on a Vision class ship and gone across the "pond"? My thoughts-smaller ship and rougher seas, just in case. We loved the Radience class ships, and Vision seems to be a smaller Radience class design, with everything reversed location wise (Windjammer off the bow, the others off the stern). She appears to be a nice ship, but the size concerns me a bit.