Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 08:48 AM

I have booked a cruise for my sister and her family and I am now looking for travel insurance through Travel Insurance International. There are four types - highest price and coverage down. I am not sure what is best, can anyone advise. Do I get the best or mid or lowest. They will be going on a 10 day cruise to the Mexican Rivera in April. This is a first time cruise for any of us so we are total novices. I have gotten so much information from this site. Thank you in advance
Old 11-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Administrator

I often recommend that people compare policies at insuremytrip.com, where you can line them up and see what the best policy is for you.

I look for policies that have trip interruption, trip cancellation, medical payments, and medical evacuation. It may be too late for you to get pre-existing condition waivers, which is useful if one of the guests has an ongoing medical problem that could flare up just as the cruise begins. This waiver is usually available only if you buy insurance within 10 to 15 days of the cruise being booked. It can vary by company. However, you can buy policies which will pay you back if the cruise has to be cancelled for any reason. And yes, they cost more.

Don't dismiss the medical evacuation coverage need. If someone fell ill in a foreign port and needed to be flown home in a medical evacuation jet it can cost $50,000 to $100,000 or more. For perspective, I had to pay $10,000 for a medical helicopter for my wife a few years ago, and it was a 15 mile flight. It is not uncommon to learn a person's medical insurance will not cover evacuations, or will only cover a percentage of it.

I have found policies from Travel Insured, Travelex, and CSA to offer good coverage for reasonable prices.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:17 PM

Thank you so much Dave. Your comments are very helpful. I just want this to be such a great experience for them.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:57 PM

Hey Akebonofan,

Did you you check with your credit card company to see if you are covered by them for all inclusive trip interruption, trip cancellation, medical? My Platinum Infinite credit card covers me and my family for each of the above as long as the full cost of the trip including airfare and even tours are purchased on the card. Also included $5 million medical and definitely evacuation to a hospital in the US if we are in the Caribbean. There are a lot of Gold Credit cards out there that also offer similar coverage. We are covered for any medical condition as long as it is stable for 3 months prior to leaving on the cruise. As an example, we were in Hawaii one year and my son at the time broke his ankle hoping on and off the bed. We called credit card company, they paid for taxi fare to hospital. A hospital of their choice (exceptional where the doctors made little animals for my son out of towels). Everything to the tune of $6,000 was paid for an we did not put out a dime. $6,000 because of course we were foreign to the US. If you are not covered by your credit card, it is essential that you purchase insurance. You never know what can happen and does happen.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:10 AM

My credit card doesn't cover travel. Did you book through a travel agent? They can usually get you insurance at the same time as you booked the cruise.

Closed Thread

Tags
condition, conditions, cruise, existing, holiday, insurance, medical, mybb, powered, pre, preexisting, questions, stable, travel, vbulletin