Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 06:24 AM

I am starting to get excited about our first seven night cruise. My dh, ds14 and dd11 will be travelling with me. One of our stops is Coco Cay and I thought they had a zip line but can not find this out for sure, is there one? We also are stopping at St Thomas and St. Maarten, I have not booked excursions because I think we will be ok site seeing on our own, please share your thoughts with me. We have booked an excursion when we finish our trip to Kennedy Space Centre, it will take us back to the airport after. If anyone has done this please let me know your thoughts.

The kids got soda passes for Christmas and are over the moon excited.

Please feel free to tell me anything and everything that we should be doing to make this cruise as enjoyable as possible.

We are staying at Disney before the cruise any suggestions on the best way to get to Port Canaveral.

Thanks

Cathy

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-30-2009, 07:47 AM

Hi there and welcome.

No zip line on Coco Cay. The zip line is on Labadee. Coco Cay is a really nice place though and we really enjoy getting to go there. There's snorkeling, wave runners, para sailing, volleyball, diving, relaxing...etc. You will have to tender in.

You didn't say which ship you are going on but I assume it's Freedom of the Seas. She is an awesome ship with so much to do onboard.

As far as getting to and from Port Canaveral, we use a private shuttle service. I don't think we can post business links on here or I would let you know who we use. Most of those services have very competitive prices. The advantage of using a private service is that they are taking care of you on your schedule.

Hope this helps a little. Have a wonderful time.

Celebrity Eclipse March 5, 2011
Serenade of the Seas Oct 23, 2011
Old 12-30-2009, 08:20 AM

Yes we are on Freedom of the seas.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:52 AM

I think you made a wonderful choice with the Freedom especially considering the kids ages.We spent 2 weeks on it in Oct. Four sea days are perfect with so much ship to explore.We have always rented a car in Orlando with a drop off at Cocoa Beach.They will shuttle you to the pier and cost for the car runs about $50.We are 0 for 4 in making it to Coco Cay as every time we were supposed to go the ship either could'nt hold anchor or tendering would have been dangerous so the captain bypassed the port.
This ship has one of the best teen centers afloat and kids should go on the first night to meet the others their age.This may be the last time you see them for a week.The Ice show and the parades on the promanade are fantastic.Have a wonderful trip.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:07 PM

We cruised with our kids at those ages on RCCL. never a dull moment. The kids enjoyed the waitstaff in the dining room tremendously. The dining room staff are very busy but choose your moments wisely and your kids can get an international education: What is a family meal like where you come from? A date? What kind of houses do people have? Spiritual beliefs? What do their parents do? My kids form real attachments to these people and never miss an evening meal. Probably among the high points of their cruises.

On St. Maarten we bought wristbands for the water ferry to town (it's within sight of the ship but quite a hike since you can't go as the crow flies). There is a "native" market area that was fun, the usual tourist shops and some eateries. We mostly hung out at the beach which is a nice quiet beach. You can return to the ship to shower, rest, or eat (a no-cost) lunch, and use the band to go back for some afternoon fun if you like. Touring the island is all right. Orient beach is beautiful (but has a clothing optional area that is not restricted so there is nudity here and there on the beach). Marigot on the french side is quaint and lovely for shopping or lunch. Cab fare there was expensive and per person, not per car. After trying most things on St. Maarten we now stay near the port. Lots of people do like to take in the beach off the end of the runway on the island. The planes seem to almost land on the tourists there. It is exciting to see but I am not sure I would spend a day there.

Coco Cay is a fun place to try snorkeling. while not a premium dive destination by any means it tops RCCLs other private island for marine life. Your kids can get instruction and you can come and go in the water as you please. There is very little there but beach activities. The meal on shore is provided by the ship and ship personnel, although I know people who tender back to the ship to eat. Once the initial rush of people getting off the ship is over it is an easy process going back and forth if you like.

In St. Thomas there is shopping right by the port. Again cabs will cost "per person". If you search St. Thomas Beaches on this site you can find more information on water sports, etc. Both St. Thomas and St. Maarten are considered "premium" destinations and you have a great itinery.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Old 01-02-2010, 06:58 PM

Hi Cathy,

Welcome to Cruise Chat. We are also going to be on the Freedom to the Eastern Caribbean in March. Are you going on the 28th? We will be in a group of about 35 people - 10 families with all of our teenagers! This is the second time we've cruised like this and the kids had the time of their lives! If your kids like sports at all, they will have a ton of stuff to do and will absolutely love it! We usually try to do excursions on our own to save some money, though when we first started cruising, we did book them through the cruise line. Dinner time is also a ton of fun. I hope you have a great cruise! 85 days!

Old 01-03-2010, 06:55 PM

We are going on the 28th and yes both my kids like sports. Given the Canadian status they both love hockey. That isn't to say they don't like to do other things. They are both excited because of all the activities on the ship. I don't think they fully understand all there is to do.

Cathy

Old 01-05-2010, 01:34 PM

I don't know if you get the travel channel in Canada, however, they just recently had Samantha Brown's cruise on the Freedom of the Seas. It really show cases the ship, as well as all there is to do on board and how massive she is. If you can catch the show there, have your children watch it, their mouths will drop open
Old 01-05-2010, 08:21 PM

Hi Cathy and others on the Freedom of the Seas 3/28 booking. Should be alot of fun. We are bringing along 13 teenagers (at last count). All very athletic-should be some fun belly flop contests.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:21 PM

Hi Cathy. You'll have a great time on this cruise. Sounds like lots of teens going so the kids will really have a good time. I love St. Maarten and usually we rent a car. We travel with a group of 6 to 8 so we generally get a van. You can book one via the internet and can pick it up and drop it off at the port. Last time it was around $120 to rent a van for the day. The island is beautiful and fully worth exploring. Orient Beach is one of the most beautiful in the world, but as pointed out, is swim suit optional. Marigot is a quaint and beautiful town worth stopping and wandering around or eating lunch in. There are also many side roads that lead to quiet beaches.
The airport is right on the beach and landing planes are about 50 fee over the beach goers. Quite a sight. Here is a link to show you what it is like. Check it out.

http://curiousphotos.blogspot....airport-12-pics.html

All in all, look on the web and explore the St. Maarten tourist sites and check out renting a car. I think you'll really enjoy it.

Have a great cruise.

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, beaches, canaveral, cay, clothing, coco, cococay, labadee, line, nude, nudity, optional, options, port, zip