Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2005, 04:33 PM

This is our first cruise and we're taking our 2 teens (16 boy and 17 girl). They would like to know what clothes are appropriate for formal nights, as well as casual and informal. My son wears alot of shorts and sneakers, and doesn't really have trousers other than jeans and a pair of dressy pants. Do I need to invest in anything special for them on this cruise? For the formal nights I already have two dressy shirts, but does he need a jacket? My daughter is very trendy and likes mini skirts. Would it be ok for her to wear one? thanks for the advice. Lisa
Old 02-08-2005, 04:33 PM

This is our first cruise and we're taking our 2 teens (16 boy and 17 girl). They would like to know what clothes are appropriate for formal nights, as well as casual and informal. My son wears alot of shorts and sneakers, and doesn't really have trousers other than jeans and a pair of dressy pants. Do I need to invest in anything special for them on this cruise? For the formal nights I already have two dressy shirts, but does he need a jacket? My daughter is very trendy and likes mini skirts. Would it be ok for her to wear one? thanks for the advice. Lisa
Old 02-08-2005, 09:32 PM

There is alot of message boards that already talk about attire. Your Son is not aloud to where any shorts into the dining room for suppers. and on formal nights it is supposed to be suits or tuxeodos but when I was there some men were just wearing dress shirts and dress pants. For your daughter I am sure she could wear a skirt but on formal nights most people are wearing long dresses, although I just wore a dress that went to my calves on one of the formal nights!
Hope that helps you out!
Old 02-09-2005, 07:04 AM

I would not suggest your daughter to wear mini-skirts at all on formal dress. It is unappropriate. Knee-length is fine.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:28 AM

We are leaving this week for our first family cruise with 2 daughters ages 15 and 20. They will both be wearing cocktail dresses above the knees on formal nights and I am sure these will do just fine. Will post again when to return and let you know what I see teens wearing ok.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:47 PM

Thanks, PA. Please let me know how it went and have fun!
Old 02-15-2005, 06:55 PM
Hi when we cruise we usually take our two children with us. (girl-20, son-17) They do not allow shorts in the dining room. You can wear shorts in the windjammer type restrauant. For formal night, my son wore a dressy pair of slacks with a jacket. On smart casual he wore khaki pants with a dress shirt and tie no jacket. on casual nights he wore a collared shirt with black or khaki pants.
My daugher wore a tea length fancy dress for formal night, a regular dress (short) for smart casual and for casual she wore nice pair of pants and a top. Minis might work on smart casual or casual nights but not on formal. But I have seen all sort of getups on formal night, even a kilt once.
Have a great time! We leave on our next cruise in about two weeks. Can't wait...

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-28-2005, 01:25 PM

Hi there, we're back and what a great time was had by all.Just to let you know what I noticed teens wearing. In the dining room we had late seating 8:30pm and didn't notice many teens, if any. On formal night, what our daughters wore (above the knee cocktail dresses) was just fine.We ended up eating in the dining room every evening (their request), they were having a great time with our table staff and enjoyed their little magic and wonderful humour.Your son would be fine in my opinion with dress pants, nice shirt and(cool)tie. The rest of the evenings our daughters wore short skirts and nice tops, and they looked great.I think people will notice more their good table manners and friendliness than what they wear (within reason).If you have any questions I would be happy to answer.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:18 PM

Hi Pa. Thanks for your advice, but unfortunately too late. We just got back too!! (Grandeur Feb.19th) You were right on the money about the clothes for teens. My daughter wore a just-below knee cocktail for the formal and my son ended up wearing a dark jacket and tie with his dress pants. Both were just fine. They also insisted in eating in the dining room. We all had a blast!! So much so that we booked our next cruise on the ship before leaving! We'll be on the Navigator next Feb. at the same time.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:01 PM

Great tips for teens, but I have a 9 year-old. She has a nice black sleeveless satiny above the knee dress, will that work for formal night?

Closed Thread

Tags
attire, attrire, caribbean, carnival, carribean, clothes, cruise, dress, dresses, dressy, formal, length, royal, teen, teenager, teenagers, teens