Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 05:27 AM

I have been on two Royal Caribbean cruises - they were wonderful experiences and we are planning a third and a fourth. Just one minor critcism though, and this may not apply to other cruise lines. Whilst at sea I find that there is very little information regarding the ship's exact location. As an example, on our last cruise we passed close to an island which looked really nice but I had no idea what is was. I asked at guest relations and they told me (after they had contacted the bridge). There is plenty of information on board regarding entertainment, where to eat etc etc, but very little info regarding the ship's exact location. For some people just the experience of being out at sea is the highlight of the cruising experience so it is nice to know exactly where you are. With all the technology available would it not be possible to have some sort of screen somewhere on the ship which shows the route and position at sea - similar to the map that is available on the in flight entertainment on most planes these days. Anyone else agree?
Old 05-19-2010, 07:00 AM

They do have it on Carnival, Princess, NCL, Celebrity, HAL, and Costa. They have a channel that gives the ship's location, speed, and wind speed/direction. They also have interactive "maps" in various locations around the ship, that shows the location. I'm surprised that RCCL doesn't offer this. I haven't been on RCCL since the 90s, but I could have sworn they had it then. And, yes, it's way past time to sail them again
Old 05-19-2010, 07:48 AM

I've been on the Navigator and the Liberty and there was nothing - can't speak for the rest of the fleet. Would have thought there would be something on the Oasis?
Old 05-19-2010, 08:52 AM

Dave has been on the Oasis. I'm sure he can help with this one.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Administrator

I don't recall anything, but I wasn't looking for it either. Most times the Captain will mention places you might see during his noon broadcast from the bridge, but that normally only covers the upcoming afternoon.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:10 PM

They don't have a tv channel with the long/lat, heading, speed, wind speed, etc.?
Old 05-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Administrator

RCI normally has that TV channel. I don't recall it though, probably because the only thing I did with the TV was use the reservations system.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:31 PM

RCCL had this channel on the Navigator, Adventure, Mariner and Serenade. for some reason they decided not to include it on the Oasis. Too bad, I really missed it, especially as I did not bring my GPS on the last cruise as I assumed the Oasis would have it.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:18 PM

I don't remember. Wasn't a map on the interactive screens by the elevator banks?
Old 05-19-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by penny3333:
They don't have a tv channel with the long/lat, heading, speed, wind speed, etc.?
On my last cruise on the Enchantment, they did have this channel. In addition, it occasionally stated the weather for the upcoming port of call, and our ETA, which more often than not, was no different that the scheduled arrival.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, current, disembarking, ilovethebeach, information, location, oasis, sea, seas