Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2004, 09:15 PM

My husband, my sister and her husband just got back yesterday from the Grandeur of the Seas. We went to Bermuda, Labadee and Nassau. Our ports were changed because of Jeanne, but our cruise was amazing! No complaints about anything, it was the best time of our lives. My husband wanted to stay in Labadee! I would be glad to answer any questions anyone has, so feel free to ask away!
Gail
Old 10-05-2004, 09:15 PM

My husband, my sister and her husband just got back yesterday from the Grandeur of the Seas. We went to Bermuda, Labadee and Nassau. Our ports were changed because of Jeanne, but our cruise was amazing! No complaints about anything, it was the best time of our lives. My husband wanted to stay in Labadee! I would be glad to answer any questions anyone has, so feel free to ask away!
Gail
Old 10-06-2004, 12:56 PM

Hey Gail,
Never ran into you. Glad that you all had a great time. Me on the other hand ..am still very mad. I think that they made a fortune on their choice of ports. And 6 days at sea buying their drinks and spending money in their spa, shops,etc.
I truely think that they knew way before that we were to have a change and think we should have been given a choice to take the trip or another. I do realize that there was a hurricane but we should have had the option. I have learned my lesson regarding taking cruises in the season... Never again for me.
Bermuda wasn't somewhere I would have ever wanted to go. Belize and Cozumel were what I paid for.
Labadee was ok, but then again it was their private island and we again spending our money somewhere we didn't chose to go.
Nassau was fine, been there before wouldn't and didn't want to go again.
I can only say that the Grandeur staff was great. They made it better because they are so nice and accommodating.

I think I'll stay with the all-inclusive from now on. It seems in the long run a much better deal and at Sandals you are given a free vacation if a hurricane causes you to change your plans even if it is on the last day of your vacation.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:27 AM

Location: I take a cruise every year, just want to hear different viewpoint
I am scheduled to go on the Grandeur of the Seas on October 15. The ports of call are: Key West, Cozumel, Belize, and Grand Bahamas Island. Did you go to these ports or did they substitute Bahamas/Coco Cay with a different island?

Thanks in advance for your help?
Old 10-08-2004, 08:41 PM

Hi jpandsandra, We were scheduled to go to Key West, Freeport, Cococay, Belize and Cozumel, but because of Jeanne we went to King's Wharf, Bermuda, Labadee(another of RC'S private island's) and Nassau. We stayed overnite in Bermuda. We had no problem with these ports, they were beautiful. I had really wanted to go to Key West, but I would rather be safe than facing a hurricane. We will just have to set up another cruise with Key West in it!
Have a great trip!You will love the food and the staff are amazing! Say hi to Tristan and Marlon at the purser's desk and try to get JR for your head waiter in the dining room, you will love them all! Say hi from Gail, one of the Crazy Canucks! They will know who we are!
Have a safe and happy cruise
Gail
Old 10-10-2004, 09:13 AM

jp&sandra
My wife and I are going on the Grandeur of the Seas about a week later than you are. Our travel agent says they will be going to the original ports. The damage was not so bad there. Have a good cruise.

Charles
Old 10-11-2004, 07:12 AM

It seems to me i read somewhere that cuise lines have the right to change their port based on weather. I would think that if one went during the hurricane season, they would have to know that there is a possibiity of being rerouted to another port... not for the benefit of the cuise line (ie. to make more money off of selling you more drinks) but for the safety of the passanger. I'm heading to the southern carribben in less then two weeks on a princess cruise. I haven't been notified of any changes but I am going to assume we won't be stopping in Granada as it was hit very hard with a hurricane. Am I upset? not at all. To me, it's still a week off from work in the beautiful carribbean with my wonderful husband. I don't fall in the trap of spending excessively on alcohol... water is free and the service is just as prompt. It goes back to the old saying..... some people just can't be pleased.

Old 10-13-2004, 06:10 AM

We all knew that there is a policy that the cruise line could change the itinerary. But the nearly 2000 people on that ship should have been told before they were boarding not by being handed a letter. There were people crying, yelling and calling home to find out where in the world was labadee.
No dear,, it comes down to the old saying
"Until you've walked a mile in my shoes"
If you pay for 5 ports then you should get 5 ports. Or be refunded. It's that simple.
I guess it's true what they say,some people just think they know everything.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:58 PM

I think that a cruise is what you make of it. If you decide to spend money on spas, alcohol, etc. then it's your money. You can also decide not to do all those things. Either way, everyone knows up front that there are charges incurred for these 'extra' goods and services regardless of who gets the money. Realistically, people should be aware that if you cruise during hurricane season, the trip could be quite different from what is expected, in which case you should roll with the punches and make lemonade out of lemons.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:28 AM
Banned

Dixie Girl

If people were told and not handed a letter they would complain that they never heard about the change. Why were people crying, yelling and calling home to find out where Labadee was? Someone at home tells them and then what? I am sure a Princess rep could have told them more than someone at home.

We all have different expectations, objectives, and opinions. After being on 6 cruises I would be content with not stopping at any islands. To me all of the islands are the same and some just worst than others. They basically have the same tours and are after the tourist's money. I just want to relax and not be hassled into buying something. I know that a lot of passengers like to snorkle, scuba, and do some duty free shopping. So a missed port could be a dispointment. If you are cannot be flexible then don't cruise during the hurricane season. You mention that Sandals will give you free days if you are disrupted by a hurricane. This is because they are not flexible. They cannot move their resort out of the way of a hurricane like a ship can sail around it. If Sandals did not have this policy no one would book during that season.

I have paid full price for a ticket to see ball games, NASCAR races, and amusement parks to have them shortened by rain. No refund or discount toward another ticket because the full 9 innings were not played. This is the chance you take.

Closed Thread

Tags
grandeur, money, seas, spending