Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2005, 04:32 PM

Do ships change to local times once in port? I'm thinking of booking an excursion for Stingray City that leaves the dock at 12:30pm local time. Is this a good time? This is through Port Promotions / Best of the Caribbean. Anyone have any experience with them?
Thanks, Lisa
Old 02-01-2005, 04:32 PM

Do ships change to local times once in port? I'm thinking of booking an excursion for Stingray City that leaves the dock at 12:30pm local time. Is this a good time? This is through Port Promotions / Best of the Caribbean. Anyone have any experience with them?
Thanks, Lisa
Old 02-01-2005, 08:20 PM

NO Ships do NOT EVER change to local time. They will announce that ad-nausium every day, that you should keep your watch set on ship's time...the local time of the home port.

If you are booking a trip with an outside-the-ship vendor, you should check with the vendor, to find out what time zone they are in, and how that effects you. Most of these tour operators work with the cruise ships regularly, and know when they are in port. They can be very helpful. E-mail is a wonderful tool.

I have never used Port Promotions, so hopefully someone else can help you with that.
I will mention, though, that I have had Great success with www.shoretrips.com. I have used them for at least 12 excursions, and the only glitch I ever ran into was a 40 min late pickup in aruba last week (the local tour operator's fault, not shoretrips).

I hope this helps!

Too Long!

Click here for my website
Old 02-01-2005, 08:31 PM

Yes, ships DO change time to correspond with the time zone they are traveling in. For examplr, on Celebrity's Mercury this past November, on a 12 day cruise to Acapulco, Ixtapa, Cabo, Manzanillo, and Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta, we changed time every day. Drove us crazy.

David
Old 02-02-2005, 01:36 AM

Have been on several ships in different timezones. All ships changed time to the local time zone. In the evening we had a notice on our beds, to change the time, before going to sleep.
On some cruises we had 7 different time changes.
When you will contact your family, every time you have to calculate, plus the timedifference for us to germany.

Only 11 days to go to our cruise on the Zentih in the southern caribbean. And again different time zones.

oppis from germany

Old 02-02-2005, 06:26 AM

Lisa,
Actually I have been in Grand Cayman when some of the ships had changed to island time and others in port remained on EST. However, if your trip is planned anytime soon, Grand Cayman does not follow daylight savings time. So, until we move our clocks forward this spring, GC time is the same as EST. You do not mention what time your ship is scheduled to depart, which is the crucial consideration. As I believe PortPromotions Stingray tour is about 2 hours, you would be back to the tender station by about 3 PM local time (also EST).
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 02-02-2005, 06:30 AM
Banned

The ships cahnge to the time zone that they are sailing in. They will announce and publish the time and any time changes. There was only once on the Mexican Riviera cruise that they did not change because it was in and out and was not worth doing.

Do not trust the ship log that is shown on the tv. Our ship was showing a date that was 7 days in advance of what the real date was.

Always ask what the time is when leaving the ship. The room phone always diplayed the ship's time.

12:30 may be a good time if the ship is in port at that time.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:14 PM

Thank you for all of your responses. Actually, Nancy, the ship is due to depart at 5:30. I believe this gives us plenty of time right? Are you familiar with Port Promotions? Are they any good? Thanks, Lisa
Old 02-02-2005, 03:36 PM

Hi Lisa,
Timewise you should be fine. If the ship leaves at 5:30, the last tender will be 5:00 - just make sure you allow yourself a little cushion, so you get to the tender before that.

I have not used PortPromotions personally, but I know people who have and had no problems.

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 02-02-2005, 04:12 PM

Thanks Nancy.
One more question! I was planning on booking a Royal Swim with the dolphins through Shore Trips. Their earliest trip is at 10:00, which is just perfect for us. I'm wondering about the unloading process, though. The ship arrives in Cozumel at 7:00. Do you think we'll have time to report for the trip at 9:30, or should we go with the 12:00 trip? Thank you so much for all of your help.
Lisa

Closed Thread

Tags
adjust, caribbean, carnival, carribbean, change, cruise, dock, local, royal, ship, ships, system, time, timezones, zone