Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 06:10 AM

Word on the street is that Royal Caribbean has signed a deal with DreamWorks Animation to bring Shrek and friends to its ships, starting with Allure of the Seas.

There will be Shrek shows, characters around the ship, etc.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:06 AM
Administrator

That is the story. Some media outlets got exclusives on it. USA Today has an article about the DreamWorks deal.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:11 AM

Boy, these cruise lines sure are competing. NCL EPIC will have Nickelodean and Green Slime.

Sandy, maybe when you go on the Allure in December Shrek will be dressed for Christmas!
I have a friend who loves Shrek so much he painted him on his Gold Wing motorcycle.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Sandy, maybe when you go on the Allure in December Shrek will be dressed for Christmas!
That should be fun! I'll report back.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Administrator

The plan to roll out the DreamWorks alliance:

It will be on Allure when the ship debuts. Liberty will be next in January 2011, followed by Oasis in February and finally Freedom in March. No plans right now for going beyond those 4 ships.

All of the DreamWorks stuff will be included in the cruise price (NCL will charge for some of the Nick events).

3D movies with first run DreamWorks films. This is interesting since Disney has the contract to distribute DW films.

A stateroom TV channel dedicated to DW films and videos.

This started about a year ago when Jeffrey Katzenberg (one of DW's founders) was introduced to RCCL CEO Richard Fain.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:04 AM

I see this as another way for RCI to make money. Pictures with Shrek of course. But won't they probably have all the Shrek merchandise in the gift shop that the little darlings will just have to have.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Administrator

The Press Release is HERE

Adam Goldstein said there would be no extra fees "because it so so broad based in appeal". He went on to say the characters are popular with people of all ages and that was a factor in deciding to roll it into the cruise fare. So what does this mean? It means fares on those four ships will be higher. And of course, I can see a DreamWorks gift shop.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Sandy, maybe when you go on the Allure in December Shrek will be dressed for Christmas
Actually, Jan, you'll be on Allure before I will! You'll have to report back from the pre-inaugural!!
Old 06-04-2010, 10:31 AM

Yes,that will be fun. I've been busy thinking about my upcoming Alaska cruise next week though. I always wait until the last minute to pack. I don't think I better do that this time though. I have to think about what I want in case the weather is cooler. I knew someone that was there the end of April and they said the weather was beautiful.

Now wouldn't that be fun to see Shrek walking around Alaska!
Old 06-04-2010, 10:33 AM

They didn't waste no time getting Shrek on their website. It's cute how they have him swinging down.

Closed Thread

Tags
allure, carribean, cruise, cruises, december, dream, dreamwork, dreamworks, rating, ratings, review, reviews, seas, shrek, works