Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   Sailing on IotS on the 23rd -- with a broken foot! (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/4636-sailing-iots-23rd-broken-foot.html)

NJK 11-12-2009 07:23 AM

I broke my foot a few days ago, and suddenly my care-free cruise is requiring a little more planning.

I'm not much for shows (well, mostly the maneuvering to get a decent place to sit) and don't gamble. I was already planning to spend a fair bit of time reading on my balcony, but now I can't break that up with ice skating and exploring the ship. Swimming may be an option, but since I've got an aft cabin it'll involve a cross <STRIKE>country</STRIKE> ship trek each time.

Any ideas for other things I can do, that don't involve a lot of walking?

Can anyone tell me what the video connections on the IotS TVs are? (So I can run the movies on my iTouch to the TV if I get bored.)

My booking agent has offered to arrange for a wheelchair at embarkation. Will that mean I get to sit instead of standing around during the wait to check in, or is it strictly for boarding once I've already checked in? And if I accept it, will that automatically put me on the do-not-allow list for the excursion I booked?

Speaking of the excursion, does anyone have first-hand experience with the "Alabaster Coast - Etretat & Fecamp" excursion? Is the minimum walking required pretty easy? That's still almost 2 weeks away, and I'm hopeful that I'll be doing fairly well with the walking boot by then.

Dave 11-12-2009 08:46 AM

They should be standard Samsung flatscreens with the usual video inputs.

penny3333 11-12-2009 11:09 AM

Hi NJK, welcome to Cruise-Chat! So sorry to hear about your foot, what a tragedy. I don't know that a wheelchair would put you on any lists. A friend of mine went on a cruise with her electric wheelchair and went on excursions. She did have to let the cruise line know that she was confined to her chair, though. Since you're not actually going to be confied, I don't think that would cause many problems. There is a library on board, also a video arcade, then there will be games by the pool or in the lounges. They might have a bridge tournament or maybe some card games on board. There should be some cooking demonstrations, ice carving, and other activities that wouldn't require a lot of walking, once you're there. There's always bingo http://bestsmileys.com/lol/21.gif The newly wed games or the how well you know your partner games are usually funny, too. They normally have a movie channel on the tv. I think you'll find lots of things to take a break from reading.

Can't help you on your excursion, as I've not taken that one, sorry. Congratulations on your up-coming cruise! Sure hope you'll get used to your walking boot soon.

queenofcruzin 11-12-2009 02:18 PM

I am so sorry to hear about your broken foot. By all means take advantage of a wheelchair while boarding, it is only to help you get onboard, not a black mark against you. Enjoy your balcony, without a broken foot it is wonderful. Don't miss a thing, just rest at all the wonderful places on board while you make your way around the ship. You must still have your sense of humor, I love the line about cross <STRIKE>country</STRIKE> ship trekking. The aft balcony will provide you with extra room, ask for a chaise lounger to be brought to your balcony for your comfort, a couple bucks and I get one on a smaller balcony when I am sailing alone. The staff will be so accommadating to your circumstances....who else will take care of you like they do ??? Room service, maybe an extra chair in the dining room to put your foot up on....ENJOY !!

Maurine 11-16-2009 12:17 PM

Do you have trip insurance? I was asking because if you do you could always cancel the trip and go when your foot is heeled. I know traveling isn't much fun when you're injured.

Either way, enjoy!

jerseygirl74 11-17-2009 01:36 PM

We had many people on the Liberty using the RC wheelchairs. Just make sure you reserve it in advance...we went on the segway excursion (it was really quite easy & enjoyable) and a guy drove it off the curb and broke his foot...he couldn't get a wheelchair because there were none left. You can use it to get around the ship and then park it when you get to where you want. The ships are really wheelchair friendly with all the automatic doors, etc. There is always someone else in the elevator to push the buttons...and you can stand up if you need to. Most of the people who had wheelchairs were using RC's, so I wouldn't wait to request one.