Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 01:45 PM

Traversing the Panama Canal on board the Jewel of the Seas and need to know if anyone has taken the Panama Canal boat tour from Balboa pier down the Panama Canal back to Cristobal pier. It sounds like a great adventure and want to check if anyone has taken this excursion and offer their opinions. First time taking a RCCL cruise.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:00 PM

Hi Aviana, and welcome to Cruise-Chat.

I've done a Panama Canal cruise, but not the excursion you mentioned. I hope someone else can be of more assistance.

Jewel of the Seas is a beautiful ship.

Sandy
Old 03-03-2009, 05:46 AM

Hi aviana, welcome to Cruise-Chat. I haven't been on the Panama Canal cruise----yet, but when we booked it, our cruise consultant was telling us all about it. She said it is good to go through the locks on board, then take a tour on the ground to watch the ship go through them. She said that way, you get a total experience. Please let us know what you think when you return. We've booked for next April, but may have to move it back some if things don't straighten out with the economy. Best wishes, and once again, welcome aboard!
Old 03-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Jim's HazeGrey & Underway Again's Avatar

Aviana, I'm booked on the same cruise, Jewel of the Seas, but sailing April 3rd. I've been trying to figure out what to do for excursions also.

Personally, I think you'll be fine and get the full Canal experience just by being onboard through the Gatun locks. There's not too much else to it. Course I was a merchant marine officer and have been through the Canal a couple of times before. But I'm advising my familiy to just stay onboard once through the locks, then just walk around Cristobal once we're at the pier. Cristobal is the Atlantic side of the Canal, Balboa the Pacific side. Does the boat excursion go all the way across the Canal?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:20 AM

The Ferry excursion transits the canal from Balboa to the mirafore locks.A bus transit to get to the Ferry in Balboa, then a bus back to Cristobal. Still on the fence on this excursion.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:14 AM

I am responding to my own message. I have returned from my RCL Panama Canal Cruise and had a great time. I took the Ferry boat excursion that traversed the canal to the Pacific side of the canal and would highly recommend this excursion to anyone on a Panama Canal cruise. I was well worth the price.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:05 AM

Welcome back, aviana Hope you had a great time! Did you have a favorite port? How did you like the ship? Did you book another cruise (it always helps ease the debarkation blues)? Thank you so much for letting us know about the excursion, it's something I will definitely look into when we finally get to go. I'm going to have to move mine a little further out, just don't have the money right now But,I will get there

Closed Thread

Tags
balboa, canal, cristobal, cruise, excursion, locks, panama, pier