Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 04:10 AM

Hi everyone
I have been reading yor updates for a month with much intrest. I live in australia and am trying to organize a caribbean cruise for 10 (2 families with teenage children ages 13yrs to 18yrs)i have so many questions don't know where to start lol.I decided after reading Sonnies sugestion that back to back cruising was a great idea Eastern and western on Independence 1/9/2010 and 1/17/2010 now my problem is should I cruise January or April back to back on Freedom 4/4/2010 and 4/11/2010 which would be better weather and, will there be many other children in January as this is not your vacation time ?
Old 05-13-2009, 06:10 AM

Hi aussie ann and welcome to Cruise Chat.

Weather in the Caribbean is pretty consistent and should be the same in January as in April. The January cruises will likely have fewer kids onboard, as schools tend to start up again after January 1, which is the end of the winter holiday. April is Spring Break time, with high schools and colleges having holiday around Easter.

The flip side of this is that January will likely be less expensive than April, just because April is more in demand by families. Check on prices for both times of year and that will help you decide if saving money or having more families onboard is more important to your group.

Your experience on Freedom or Independence will be wonderful, whichever one you choose.

Sandy
Old 05-13-2009, 11:17 AM

Hi aussie ann, welcome to Cruise-Chat. Congratulations on your up-coming cruise, sounds fantastic! The water might be a tad bit warmer in April due to increased sunlight. As Sandy states, April rates are probably higher. Just remember, cruising is addictive Best wishes and let us know what you book!
Old 05-13-2009, 02:57 PM

Thanks Sandy and Penny 3333
Your right about price diffrence so far quotes are about $3500 (aud) dearer in April per family. Can you guys see the itinerary for the up coming cruises and comment on which u think would be best. I have also been looking at Independence 4/3/2010 from Fort Lauterdale for 8 nights and Liberty on 4/11/2010 from Miami for 7 night , do you think it is possible for us to get from Fort Lauderdale to Miami on the 4/11/2010 to catch the Liberty in plenty of time, would u do this by taxi ? shuttle ? plane ? it does not look far on the map ? as the itinerary that these 2 ships offer
looks great . IS 15 nights to long for first time cruisers ? sorry for all the homework lol aussie ann
Old 05-13-2009, 03:58 PM

Ann, all the itineraries look relatively comparable, with Caribbean islands and days at sea. There is good sightseeing, water sports and shopping in all of those ports.

Ft. Lauderdale and Miami are about a half hour apart by car. You can go from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami in more than enough time. In fact, you're likely to get to Miami before they start letting people on the ship. A taxi would cost about $65 and will hold 4 people, although luggage space would be tight. You could wait for a taxi van, which has more room. A transfer is inconvenient since you have to pick it up from the airport. With the cost of getting to the airport and paying for the shuttle for all of you, a taxi is probably cheaper.

As for the length of a first timer's cruise, ordinarily I would say that 15 days is too long. But since you're coming all the way from Australia, and since I know you'll all have a great time on the amazing ships you're looking at, it could work very well.

An alternative may be to take one cruise, and spend a week on land, sightseeing in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area, or going up to Orlando (about 3 hours away by car) to go to Disney World. Or head down to the Florida Keys.

I don't think you could make a bad choice.

Sandy
Old 05-13-2009, 04:30 PM

Thanks heaps Sandy this is very helpfull information.
I haver thought about doing 1 cruise and Disneyworld but started to think this would be much more expensive than cruising as food and entertainment were included with cruise , but I guess the day trips will start to add up .I have so much to decide .Iam still waiting on a couple more quotes for the Miami end cruise.I just want to get it RIGHT !!!! as I am choosing for both families and it will be a once in a life time holiday with all our growning up children. Ann x
Old 05-13-2009, 05:09 PM
It will be warmer in April. And definitely Disney World is must!
Old 05-13-2009, 05:41 PM

Thanks circa

Maybe 8 nights cruising and do Disneyworld you may have opened another can of worms lol .My poor travel agent !!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I haver thought about doing 1 cruise and Disneyworld but started to think this would be much more expensive than cruising as food and entertainment were included with cruise , Ann x

If you stay at one of the Disney Resort hotels you can get a package to add on the park passes and add on a dining plan. The dining plan is well worth it. The package is called Magic your Way with dining. I'm sure your Travel Agent will be happy to help book all this for you.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:24 AM

Hi Cruise fanatic
I will look in to the food package deal at Disneyworld , if I decied to do Disneyworld we will probabley do Freedom of the seas on 4/4/2010 from Port Canaveral.
Do you have a favourite hotel or resort that you stay at when you go to Disneyworld ?

Ann

Closed Thread