Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 06:33 PM

Just wondering...

How do dining room tables get assigned? Also, how do they choose who your table mates will be?

There's probably a system for doing so, does anyone know?

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Administrator

They try to assign tables based on the likelihood of compatibility for people with children. Beyond that I don't know, and you won't find an answer here.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:18 AM

Don't know how it's done. I seriously doubt they can put a lot of thought into it as it would take a long time. They just put parties together to fill a table.

My first cruise, we were at a table for six and enjoyed out tablemates. Most recent cruise we were at a table for six, but only one other couple showed up: a mother and daughter (in her 30s). Mother talked and talked and talked and it was kinda polarizing. We switched tables after second night. Table location also wasn't the greatest.

Our next table was upstairs and one table away from a window so it was a little nicer location. We were at another table of six that only had one other couple at it. They were a little better, but not fantastic tablemates. Overall we weren't really happy with the DR seating assignments.

You never know who you're going to end up with or where your table will be located. You can request table size, like if you want to be at a table for 4, 6, 8, etc. They have very limited tables for two.

I think next time we'll do My Time dining.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:31 AM

I have had many table assignments that were very group specific. As a single, I was most often seated at a table with others not travelling as a couple. As a Mother and Daughter we were sat at tables with other Mother and Daughters. I have been told the table meeting can take between 4-6 hours by Head waiters on different ships. Many times the type of cabin, suite, balcony, inside also seemed to be a consideration.
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010
Old 11-23-2009, 07:54 AM
Administrator

I think they use a Bessel function.

That's right about groups. We were added to a group booking last year to reduce the price and get some OBC, and it was a bit uncomfortable at first since we didn't know anyone in the group but they were all friends.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
As a Mother and Daughter we were sat at tables with other Mother and Daughters.
That's what we had. I guess they thought we would enjoy that, but I would have enjoyed some hot, single men as my tablemates instead. And so would my mother!

And so would the other mother as she kept harping on it.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:28 AM

Dave, just Wiki'd "Bessel Function"...

Yeah, I'm sure that's how they do it - OMG!
Old 11-23-2009, 11:12 AM

I'm not sure how they do it now a days. In the past efforts were made to seat people of a general age range and similar marital status together.

Dwayne
Old 11-23-2009, 11:52 AM

Dwayne, I think they still use that type of demographic. We used to be at tables for people in their 30-50 year range, now we seem to be seated with people 60-80+. I think they still try to put families with families, singles with singles, etc. Dave, that brings back such horrible memories. I hated calculus.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:28 PM

I'm sure it's hard and they do allow switching, but we weren't really thrilled to be paired up with another mother/daughter. That said, do the people making the table assignments know the relationship of the people in the parties?

First cruise we were at a table with two married couples. They were good tablemates and I enjoyed seeing them around the ship.

This time we got stuck with a stinker. When my mother switched, she told the head waiter she wasn't being paid to listen to this woman (not her therepist). First night we were told how this woman became a widow. She also repeated herself and talked instead of ate. Daughter didn't seem like she wanted to be there. After we switched we tried to avoid running into them.

Next table we had Mr. and Mrs. Baby (as my mother called them because they liked to feed one another) as tablemates. They also were unaware of the suggested dress codes and showed up to more than one formal night in sweats and tennies. Mrs. Baby liked to have her cleavage on display.

Closed Thread

Tags
asign, assign, assigned, caribbean, caribean, carnival, carribbean, check, cruise, dining, friends, room, rooms, royal, seated, seating, table