Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 08:09 AM

My wife and I love getting dress up. We even dress up on the non formal nights. I always take two suits and she takes about 5 dresses. We hate what is happening now that everyone want to get more informal, even in work places. Take a look at Wal-mart how the people dress now in the work place.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:55 PM
To each his/her own

Need some cruise help?
Old 07-15-2010, 05:30 PM

We always dress for formal night if we eat in the MDR. If we choose not to dress up, we'll go to the Windjammer or a specialty restaurant.

I estimate that at least 90% of the folks dress in at least a jacket and tie on the cruises I have been on. Just my guess though.

Celebrity Eclipse March 5, 2011
Serenade of the Seas Oct 23, 2011
Old 08-21-2010, 09:13 AM

We've always had the men in dark suit tie, including teens. On our upcoming cruise on FOS, we are taking a 16 yr old who doesn't ahve a dark suit who's family is having a hard time right now. He will be wearing dress shirt, tie and dress slacks. My Grandson, who owns a suit, will wear dress shirt, tie and slacks to make his friend feel comfortable. I'm paying for the cruise, his excursions, soda card, extras. This is one spot where we are not (1) going to Goodwill (2) telling the 2 teens to go to the Windjammer. If you are uncomfortable looking at them, please turn away. You'll never know what incredible young men these are so this one accomodation is one we are willing to make.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:50 AM

Oh, I see the "what to wear to the diningroom issue" has come up once again. Defintely, 20 years ago when I first started cruising, entering dining room for dinner without a dark suit and tie and a long dress for the ladies was a no no. Today, for the two formal nights, on a 7 day cruise in the Caribbean, my husband will bring a black suit and my boys will either bring their dark suits (but there would be no sweat if they simply chose to wear their suit pants with a dress shirt and tie or their dark pants with a black sweater over their dress shirt. That would be fine too. I myself love to dress up so I always bring a couple of cocktail dresses that I either dress up for the formal nights or down a bit for the other evenings. Dressing down can just be throwing a little blazer over the dress or a little sweater. A nice pair of gauzey pants and a nice top and a little blazer for the ladies would work fine for the other evenings. Dining room can be so chilly. The other way to dress down or up is with a large shawl, throw over a camisole and you are ready to go. The waiters all dressed up a night so it is nice to see everyone appreciating their effort as well. The big challenge is the longer cruises - the one we are going on in October is 12 days and the luggage restriction of one 50 pound suitcase on the airplane. For this type of cruise, we must be really careful with our clothing selections so that we do not get tired of seeing each other nightly in the same clothes (hee hee). But on some of those nights, we simply forgo the dining room and eat in the buffet). As a side note, I have on occasion worn on the nights that are not formal a nice pair of dark black dress capris with a lovely blouse and shawl and it was fine. Let's try to keep the bold in your face t shirts with crude or non crude logos out of the dining room at dinner. My opinion.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:04 AM

What airline are you using? All the time we are allow 2 50lbs suitcases per person. We have no problem taking 4 suitcases and a carry-on for the each of us. We also make sure it's the biggest suitcases allow. We are going on a 21 day cruise next March and did a 18 day cruise last year with no problem. we have gone on US Air, Air Canada and Westjet.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:17 AM

Hi Wooddon,

In October WE fly Air Canada and Lufthansa and we are only allowed one 50 pound suitcase per person. Otherwise, they want to charge me for second suitcase. ( I think is is because of the Lufthansa component on the return and there is a inter-Europe flight prior to going to Canada - we are going to Paris).

When we fly to Florida from Buffalo on Continental return at a cost of $210 per person return (Yes that is right), I have to pay $25 for my first suitcase (50 lb limit) as well.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:27 AM

Yes I knew you had to pay. We pay for 2 suitcases each on US air. Also on Air Canada if you travel to the US you have to pay for the second suitcase. We do not mind paying for the two suitcases.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:00 AM

I don't mind wearing a tux at all versus a suit...I would not rent one though. We found mine on sale and figured I would need one for future weddings of the kids and bought this one cheaper than you can rent one these days. I don't see and difference at all as far as packing a suit.

I don't have a problem with what folks wear on formal night. It seems to be our experience that nearly everyone makes an effort to look nice. That's all that matters to me regardless of what you wear.

Celebrity Eclipse March 5, 2011
Serenade of the Seas Oct 23, 2011

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, carribean, chef, chefs, cruise, dinner, freedom, kids, march, mdr, royal, sea, short, wear, words