Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 10:29 PM

I went on the Freedom two years ago in July and I noticed that it was pretty casual at dinner other than the Captain's night. Is that still true? In other words, long shorts for ladies and men?
Old 07-09-2010, 03:56 AM

Hi, and Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

Which cruise line are you referring to?

I think it is Royal, but not sure. I need to move this topic to the appropriate cruise forum.

Thanks, and welcome aboard,

Dwayne
Old 07-09-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:
Hi, and Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

Which cruise line are you referring to?

I think it is Royal, but not sure. I need to move this topic to the appropriate cruise forum.

Thanks, and welcome aboard,

Dwayne
Oh sorry Royal Carribbean
Old 07-09-2010, 08:44 AM

No need to be sorry, it happens all the time.

Dwayne

Topic moved from Caribbean Port to Royal Caribbean forum.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:58 AM

Hi peggyellis, yes the dress code is more casual than it used to be. However, I do not remember seeing shorts in the dining room for formal evenings. There are dining options if you don't wish to dress up for the evening, such as the buffet area or the specialty restaurants.

I do hope you will take advantage of at least one of the formal dinners, though. The waiters and assistants are so nicely dressed and the ambience of the area is so elegant. The photographers, yes I know they can be a pain, do take great portraits.

Hope you have a marvelous cruise!
Old 07-14-2010, 04:43 PM

Don't know how laid back on the rules the Freedom staff is going to be, but generally, this is what I've been told on the Enchantment.

Shorts are perfectly fine in the dining room for BREAKFAST AND LUNCH. Shorts are not allowed in the dining room for dinner. Jeans are ONLY ALLOWED on the first night and the last night, and generally they do not like to see jeans in the dining room. The reason they may make an exception for the first and last nights is because most people are waiting for their luggage the first night, and may have packed their evening attire on the last night.

On that note, here's a question. On the regular casual nights, can I get by with khakis and a golf polo shirt? Or should I wear a button down? On my previous 2 cruises, for the casual nights, I wore khakis and a button down that I got from Old Navy (not a fancy button down, but somewhat of a "dressy casual" look.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 07-14-2010, 05:45 PM

Khakis and Golf Polo shirt or button down is fine. Here is a more detailed list for RCI.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:58 AM
Khakis and a golf polo shirt are as dressy as I get on a vacation, and that has been fine on our last three cruises; no complaints from staff. We even have our photos taken on the formal nights and we have never been told that we were not dress correctly. I have seen some beautiful dresses and tuxes, and even a few kilts-very impressive and fancy, but like I said, this is my vacation, and since I HATE ties and suits for myself, I don't own either, and get along just fine in the dining room.
Have a great cruise!!
Old 07-15-2010, 08:52 AM

I think they should enforce a tie and suit on formal nights. If you can't dress up, then go to the buffet. We will not sail on any cruise line that is getting more casual.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:59 AM

Woodon,

My personal opinion is that there should be 2 types of dress, smart casual and formal. I don't like what was called informal which was a suit and tie as that is what I had to wear my whole working life, and that was enough. I will wear a tux on formal nights as I know that is the best I will ever look.

Regards,

Bill

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, carribean, chef, chefs, cruise, dinner, freedom, kids, march, mdr, royal, sea, short, wear, words