Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2005, 06:06 AM

Rich,
I hope you are reading c-c, because I just got word about something that may be of interest to you to resolve your "nightmare":

FAA-USDOT is looking for all the US Air & DL
Comair folks that were left unserviced & all flights cancelled.
Comair's computer died so they cancelled all the next days flights
(1300 of them), and US Air had no employees to work so baggage was left
in a huge area for folks to come get, or help yourself to surprise
items in a suitcase, which happened to many.

So complain away to get some satisfaction with monies lost since wrong
travel insurance was bought.
Visit: http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/problems.htm

Hope this helps in your battle -
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-06-2005, 07:17 AM

I think "cruisedoggy" has a good point, and a good suggestion. Though Tom is also right, that it's best to purchase insurance through a third party, it sounds like the people you talked to at the cruise line have been the roadblocks. In your documents you should find the name of the insurance company; if not, it will be in a Royal Caribbean brochure. In one of mine, it indicates that insurance is provided by AIG Assist, underwritten by National Union Fire Insurance Co. of Pittsburgh, policy # 9500200. (This is in a 2005 brochure; I don't know if the insurance co. is different from previous years, but it might be worth your contacting this company directly.)

Best of luck!
Old 01-06-2005, 01:40 PM

that is horrible....
I just wrote up my cruise review and did leave off the nightmare trip home...
I booked my cruise through an agency but had Royal Carribean book my flight... I thought that was the best way to go beings that is what I always do at Carnival and have had no problems..
When I got my airflight arrangements I was surprised that I got such a late flight out of Ft. Lauderdale for my return trip home... we were not to fly out til 6:55 p.m... I called the agency and they said they did not know why we had such a late departure... they did say they would change it for me if they could..We chose not to because we did not want any mix ups.
When we got back to Miami after our trip we were scheduled to be the first off the ship.. I asked if that could changed being we would be leaving out so late... they did this for us.. we got into Ft. Lauderdale around 1:30 p.m.... they immediately tried to get us to fly standbye for an extra $25 apiece telling us that it would be much better for us to be at Atlanta for several hours then sitting at the Ft. Lauderdale airport.... we chose to wait..we were tired..figured we could eat and just rest..
There was some delayed flights before ours but finally it was time to board... when we went up to get on the plane they informed us that our ticket numbers had changed and we would have to go back into the line to get new seat arrangements... now we had to stand in line all over again.....
Once we boarded the plane there was several empty seats and then announced that it would be open seating...... DOES THIS MAKE SENSE??
Then when we got ready to take off as he was backing up the plane it stalled.... took a while to get it started and the lights kept flickering on and off....need I say I was ready to get off the plane....
Once we were in the air I was rather uncomfortable....right before we arrived in Atlanta the pilot came on and told us that our gate number had been changed..... then when we were ready to land we were told we couldn't for twenty minutes.... when we did land we went to a different gate then we were told... the pilot told us that we needed to ask them once we got into the airport where we were suppose to go to pick up the flight to Indianapolis.... once inside they totally had no clue...told us to go to B1.... that was all the way to end of building..when they got there they said no we had to go to T1... that was in another building... we got there to be told that we needed to go to B14.... that was back where we came from.... now we were running out of time..we had to reboard the shuttle and drag our carryons with us...... we got on board right before they were closing the doors...
I thought this was a rare event but obviously its not...
Old 01-06-2005, 01:52 PM

Glad it worked out ok and you got home safely! A lot of those problems are the airline's fault, not the cruise line's, of course. Air travel is sure not what it used to be!
Old 01-06-2005, 02:20 PM

i totally agree with you there.... but I was under the wrong assumption too.... I thought it was best to book through the cruise lines so if there was a problem they would take care of me.. Little did I know that this would not happen.... I would have otherwise made my own air arrangements.... and I will absolutely cruise again...but I will be making my own air arrangements....I will never fly on another Delta..
And I am very surprised the way that Royal Carribean handled their former guest.. I had a splendid time on the ship and wrote a review today for cc...... but after reading the remarks on here I probably would go back to Carnival.... and I know.... it could happen there as well..but
Old 01-07-2005, 06:08 AM

Hi all,

In reading this further, I do have a question. Luck has had it that I have always booked my own air, but in truth I was always wondering - would it be safer to book through the cruise line?

The cruise line brochures continually flog their air, because 'you can be assured of great connections and if your flight is delayed or cancelled, the cruise line will help make accodomations, up and to holding the ship.'

It seems that more than one person here was left in the cold!

Can anyone comment on this?

RCI Sovereign of the Seas 2005
Caribbean Princess 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Old 01-07-2005, 07:15 AM

Always book your own air and plan to arrive at least a day before the departure of the cruise. (Like a broken record) VBG.

Tom
Old 01-07-2005, 08:00 PM

OK, this is getting me worried. We recently booked our fourth cruise and for the first time, we decided to have the cruise line (Royal Caribbean) do the air. The reason for this is because we are not at all familiar with Puerto Rico and we could not get any good prices from Rochester, NY to Puerto Rico. Once the taxes and transfers (and a night in a hotel) were added in, it was going to cost more to book it ourselves.

Should I change it (I haven't made my final payment yet) and just do the airfare ourselves?

Have people who have booked their airfare through the cruise had good experiences? I actually thought this was the safest thing to do (until reading this story).
Golden Princess - March 2003
Disney Magic - October 1998
Old 01-08-2005, 07:22 AM

It only becomes a problem if there is a flight delay and/or cancellation because of weather. P.R. is difficult to get reasonable fares to. You might try changing your reservation to a day earlier, just to make it more painless for you.

Tom
Old 01-08-2005, 07:57 AM

I just hope you are not booked on a Delta... I will never fly Delta again....

The weather was good when we flew out and still had problems... this was the first time this ever happened to me.... I have always let the crusie line book my flight for me..never had a problem before... I do believe it is not the Royal Carribean's fault .. it is the airlines..but I think when you depend on Royal to take care of the arrangements and they fall through..they should be there to help assist you to getting the the ship.... what they did to the gentleman that started this post is horrible..
It has been stated to go a day early and I think that is a great idea BUT not everyone can do that if they only get a week off ..
Have a good time on your cruise..aren't they wonderful..

Closed Thread

Tags
air, booked, canceled, caribbean, cruise, deta, insurance, jason, maltais, missed, nightmare, policy, rccl, reviews, royal