Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2005, 09:43 AM

I would not cancel my reservation through the cruise line, but request their one night pre-cruise hotel package to be added on as a safety net of any flight delays.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-08-2005, 01:44 PM

We actually did book our own airfare today. We went through JetBlue on the way down and American Airlines on the way back and it is going to be cheaper than through the cruise. Now we just need to find a hotel in San Juan (refer to my post - Good Hotels in San Juan? for details).

Sorry to hear about your nightmare "vacation" Rich, but I appreciate you giving us the details. It made us change our plans.

Heather
Golden Princess - March 2003
Disney Magic - October 1998
Old 01-09-2005, 07:35 PM

Thanks again for your posts and emails of support. I have been very busy with work and havenít been able to keep up with the board. There is still no word from Royal Caribbean, I have emailed and written Mr. Williams with a letter explaining what happened to me and how I was treated by Royal Caribbean. I am hoping that he resolves this matter amicably as I still hope to be a Royal Caribbean/ Celebrity customer. I am also contacting Royal Caribbean through some other means, thanks to the help of members of this board.

I am not blaming Royal Caribbean for the canceled flight. I do find them negligent for not notifying me when Comair called them with the cancellation the afternoon before (or at least giving Delta my phone number if they where not manning the phones). I also blame them for not helping me get a flight out of a nearby airport when time was critical and not getting back to me in time to transfer to another cruise.

As to not taking the credit, my job does not allow me much flexibility on vacations, I have to be responsible to my customers at critical times or I go out of business. This vacation was coordinated with my son who is away at his last year in college, that opportunity is probably lost now.

Some of you who suggested suing Royal Caribbean, and although I have spoken to my attorney that would be a last resort. I have had enough dealings with attorneys and the courts on civil matters, to know that this is not a step to take lightly. I am working with the insurance company and the credit card company, but I have nothing to report.

Delta/Comair has been totally different than Royal Caribbean to deal with. I called them up and explained the situation. They had already refunded the ticket price to Royal Caribbean, but still offered me a generous voucher, and on Friday I came home to a basket of flowers and a note of apology. Now thatís customer service.

Thanks again, especially those of you who provided helpful information. Iíll keep you posted.

Rich Milazzo
Old 01-10-2005, 03:03 PM

Travel success can always be a question mark just like the weather. I have been anticipating my first cruise for months now and have spent hours and hours AND HOURS on-line reading and planning. I guess my point is that I feel so sorry for Rich and what he's had to go through with the missed cruise and cannot even begin to imagine how angry and disappointed I would be. Vacations are so precious and it sounds like it was a special one with his son.

I have booked as Tom Ogg has recommended only because I am lucky and didn't know that RC could book it all for you.

Good luck, Rich.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:58 PM

I have come to a settlement with Royal Caribbean. They have refunded my air fare and port charges. The rest is as follows:

ē a 100% future cruise credit (he was entitled to 75% future cruise credit under his insurance policy)
ē that expires in 2 years (these typically expire in one year)
ē and is good for either Royal Caribbean or Celebrity (these are typically single-branded and only usable on the other brand if the original brand does not offer a specific itinerary)

I also received a call from the supervisor of guest flight operations apologizing for the way I was treated and advising me the employee that I dealt with had been reprimanded.

This is not the refund I had requested, but I feel it is a fair resolution. Although I attacked this problem from many sides I think that Christopher Elliott the Ombudsman from National Geographic Traveler had the most impact.

What have I learned: Arrive the day before if at all possible, use a travel agent, check your flight eight hours before not just 24 hours before and buy travel insurance and air fare from a third party (at least they will have your phone number).

Thank you to everyone who helped. I am looking for a new Cruise on Celebrity and would like to hear what you felt your best cruise has been. We have gone to Eastern and Southern Caribbean, Alaska and Bermuda.

Thanks again,
Rich Milazzo
Old 01-19-2005, 03:24 PM

I have been following this thread on this site and also your thread on the other sites and I just wanted to say I am very happy for you.
I think RCCL made the right move by trying to make things right, it makes us all rest a little easier knowing they will atempt to do the right thing.
It concerns me greatly when it seems like a company gets too big for itself. When a company would rather act as though they are untouchable rather than showing customer service, it's time to start looking to use a different company.
I wish on your behalf that they were a little quicker to resolve your issue since it seemed as though you were wronged. But if you've ever dealt with customer service there are always people out there trying to get something for free and you have to respect the fact they have to weed out the fruit loops......
Old 01-19-2005, 03:41 PM

Richard I am so glad the problem was resolved to your satisfaction. Overall, the settlement appears to be quite fair. I like Alwaysonvacation am glad to see that Royal Caribbean did step forward and do the right thing. It restores my faith in the quality of service I have come to expect from them.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-19-2005, 07:57 PM

Richard, the outcome speaks volumes for your approach. Keep it up! I am glad it worked out for you.

Tom
Old 01-20-2005, 07:47 AM
Banned

Big deal that the person is being reprimanded. What is the reason for taping or monitoring calls for quality purposes? The only reason for taping it is to protect them and not the customer. If they really monitored the calls these situations would not happen.

What is reprimanded? We used to joke about screw up and move up.

Glad to hear that you recouped the financial end. Too bad your long anticipated vacation did not happen. As the credit card ad says: "PRICELESS"
Old 01-20-2005, 08:18 AM
Banned

Glad you stuck with it till you got some satisfaction. A lot of people would just roll over and take it, but this is what ebveryone should do when they are mistreated.Good job! I think all of us learned something from your experience.
Tom

Closed Thread

Tags
air, booked, canceled, caribbean, cruise, deta, insurance, jason, maltais, missed, nightmare, policy, rccl, reviews, royal