Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 09:00 AM

hey everyone....long time no chat! i havent had a cruise scheduled in a while, so its too painful to chat about it all day when i don't have anything to look forward too...plus, the new house has been keeping me WAAAAY too busy

so all my past cruises have been caribbean ....we are now considering a west coast/mexico cruise, most likely out of LA (family nearby), during January 2011....based on a VERY brief look at what is available, i like the Mariner (though that could easily change)....how do west coast and caribbean cruises differ? any must see or must miss ports? any tips on getting the best deal (w/ any line)....thanks!

fortunately, it seems like there are fewer options there...makes the decision easier
Old 04-12-2010, 12:37 PM

I would definatley not miss Cabo San Lucas. That is a wonderful port. Last time we were there we had tons of dolphins swimming beside the ship and jumping out of the water. I would skip Ensanada...not much to see or do.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:17 PM

Go for it! I did it in Oct and again in Jan. I think the Mariner is the best choice because it's a seven night cruise and goes to Puerto Vallarta. Mazatlan is one of the 3 ports--I didn't care for it too much. The prices for the Mariner Mexican Riviera Cruise is about the best deal around.

Sonny
Old 04-13-2010, 07:28 AM

I would like to do that itinerary, too. They offered some fantastic deals last year, just the air fare that puts the damper on it for me. Since y'all have family around the LA area, it makes it a lot easier.

I think Sonny did a B2B on the Mariner and if I'm remembering the right review, he loved her. I also want to do the Panama Canal itinerary, hopefully in 2011, but if not, soon. I'm really missing Princess, it's been over a year now since we've been on board a Princess ship.

Please let us know what you book! Congratulations on the house, isn't it "fun" when the landlord is you
Old 04-13-2010, 12:21 PM

thanks for the tips.....will we get the same "beach" experience on the pacific? white sand, clear and warm water? my gut tells me it will be different

we've been on the Adventure, and loved it, so i assume the Mariner will be similar

and fortunately we have enough miles racked up that our flight will be free - thats really the only reason we are considering the west coast

house has been fun - im extremely busy with it, but ive learned alot
Old 04-13-2010, 01:09 PM

The Mariner is a little different than the Adventure--it has glass instead of steel below the railing on the balcony, and the Windjammer has food islands away from the regular line which makes it a lot easier to get food. The Navigator and Mariner where the last of 5 "Voyager" class ships built. Yes, Penny, we did do a back to back on the Mariner. The Mexican Riviera is a great change from always doing the Caribbean.

Sonny
Old 04-14-2010, 07:56 AM

I think the water will be more like the water on the California coast, a little coolish and a lot more surf activity. I know California's coast is too nippy for me, but they do have good waves.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:15 PM

The water temperature in January was 82 degrees in Puerto Vallarta. We did the Pirate Ship Excursion with my 10 year old Grandson--we had a great time.

Sonny
Old 04-14-2010, 12:18 PM

good to hear - both about the warm water and the glass below the railing (always wondered why they would use steel?)

like i mentioned, we were aiming for january - what is the best time to go for cheap fares over there? we still want to go when its cold here (NY), but could move the trip a little if the price were right
Old 04-14-2010, 12:21 PM
The water in Cabo can be a little cool in January, but it gets warmer as you go south. The swimming beaches in Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta couldn't be nicer.

Closed Thread

Tags
cabo, caribbean, carribean, cruise, crusies, lucas, mexico, review, san, versus, west