Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 10:38 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm heading out for my first cruise on RCL Monarch of the Seas 11/30/2009 (4 nights), and I have a few questions.

I will be traveling with my wife and 2 children, aged 2 and 4, as well as my parents, who have a separate cabin booked.

1. Are any beverages included, ever?
2. It sounds like there can be problems with charges to credit cards being made in error. Any ideas?
3. Does RCL collect a percentage if we tip using a credit card? I'm happy to tip, but I would sooner pay cash and have the staff get 100% of the money.
4. Are food and beverage available on CocoCay all day, or only at lunch hour? (Getting stuck without food or drink, in the heat, with a 2-year-old is not a great idea!)

Thanks for these answers, or any other ideas or suggestions!

Brian.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:13 AM

Welcome BWJ, I was recently on the Majesty of the Seas which has the same itinerary as the Monarch.
1. Coffee, Tea, water, and iced tea are available free most of the day. Alcohol is never included, soda is an extra as well. If you or the kids drink a lot of soda, get the soda card which gives you unlimited soda.
2.I have never had a problem with charges being made in error. On the last cruise, we did not give them a credit card number. We gave them a cash deposit and worked off of that.
3. According to the waiter and the head waiter, RCI does not collect any %, the whole tip went to them, but we still gave them cash.
4. When we stopped at Co co cay, we stayed on the ship, so I am not sure what is available, altough I am sure you could buy snacks and drinks at any time there.
You could read my review of the Majesty as they are sister ships, although this was my first cruise without kids.
Have a great cruise!
Old 11-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Hi Brian,

The Monarch was my very first cruise when she was new and the BIGGEST ship out there...I've cruised 21 more times since, but will always remember the Monarch....You and your family will have a splendid time on her....You can opt to pay your staff cash.....I always pay by voucher and then give individual staff extra if the service was over and above what they do for you....Happy sailing and you will get hooked...

Bob E
Old 11-01-2009, 11:47 AM

Welcome to Cruise-Chat, BWJ. I've been on 54 RCI cruises, and never had a problem with charges. You can check your billing statement on the TV in your cabin when ever you want. At the end of the cruise you will have a printed statement delivered to your stateroom.

At lunch time there will be food served in Coco Cay. They have tenders going back and forth every 20 minutes, so you'll have a choice of were to eat.

I think you'll enjoy your stay in Coco Cay.

Sonny
Old 11-07-2009, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the information! Needless to say, we're all *really* excited.

TTYL, Brian.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:46 PM
BWJ,
Just make a promise that soemtime during your cruise you and the wife go have a cocktail in the viking lounge ....so relaxing up there and the view is fantastic.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:27 PM

BWJ,
Just weighing in, I have not been to Coco Cay for a while, but it is RCL's private island. They have lots of great activities, beautiful snorkling and swimming, volleyball, etc. They have the bar tenders wandering the island so you can order drinks all day long. I believe that you can also use your soda card if you have it but you need to check on that.
Have a great time. And I second 417rogers, have a drink in the Viking Crown lounge for me too.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:45 AM

Geez... start out with a small ship and work up. lol
Old 11-09-2009, 08:19 AM

Coco Cay also has spa treatments on the island. They have personal watercraft for rental too. The inflatable water slide cost $20 for all day.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:56 AM

Hi BJW, welcome to Cruise-Chat! Congratulations on your up-coming cruise. There won't be food all day, but like others have said, you can catch a tender back to the ship if need be. They will provide a great bar-b-que for lunch on Coco Cay. It's a great private island, beautiful white sand, good beach area with plenty of water toys. I totally agree with papflamingo and 417rogers, do go to the Crown lounge for a drink, fantastic views! Just be aware, cruising is addictive Best wishes!

Closed Thread

Tags
age, cay, coco, drinking, legal