Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2005, 08:57 PM

I was just reading where there was an out break of a virus onboard the Enchantment.
Although it is not the fault of RCCL that a passenger was sick when he boarded and infected all those people,including staff,It makes me wonder what we as passengers and of course the staff might do to keep ourselves healthy when we are cruising.
It would be a shame to be sick the whole time you were on vacation.
We will be on the Mariner in a short few weeks and I certainly don't need to catch something like that.I have enough health problems without adding that to my list!!!!
Linda
Old 01-08-2005, 08:57 PM

I was just reading where there was an out break of a virus onboard the Enchantment.
Although it is not the fault of RCCL that a passenger was sick when he boarded and infected all those people,including staff,It makes me wonder what we as passengers and of course the staff might do to keep ourselves healthy when we are cruising.
It would be a shame to be sick the whole time you were on vacation.
We will be on the Mariner in a short few weeks and I certainly don't need to catch something like that.I have enough health problems without adding that to my list!!!!
Linda
Old 01-09-2005, 04:29 AM

I think the same things we can do while "home"...wash hands frequently, don't touch items (directly with hands) which the public touches all the time, i.e. handrails, door knobs, etc. and then go eat. You can use towels to turn off the water faucets in public restrooms and to open the door, then dispose of towel... I carry small containers of anti-bacterial gel, and/or small anti-bact. towelettes with me when I am around public places (malls, restaurants, etc) to cleanse, when I cannot get to a restroom.

I have occasionally been known to carry those portable pkgs. of hand cleaning towelettes like Clorox cleaner to hotels, etc. especially when it was flu season, etc. If you really want more details, I can tell you some other tips I have heard from TV specials on germs, or I have heard other people do.

I would not want to be sick either, especially after paying for something like a cruise, and then not being able to enjoy!

Which Mariner trip are you scheduled for? I am scheduled for Jan. 30.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:58 AM

Linda and Kandl, It is so refreshing to see that the general public is finally understanding that these outbreaks happen everywhere (not just a cruise ship issue) and that it if you frequent any public spaces, you are going to be exposed to such viruses. Kandl gives excellent advice - being proactive is your best defense against infection. Washing your hands thoroughly and often is the best preventive measure. I have a friend who taught me that many of us do not wash our hands properly, however. In order to do a good job we should sing The "Happy Birthday" song in its entirity in our minds as we wash/lather our hands with soap and by so doing have insured that we have taken the required amount of time to complete the task properly.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-09-2005, 12:17 PM

Kandl, We are on the 2-6-05 cruise on the Mariner.First time on this ship.Last year(2004) we took a cruise on Nordic Empress.And in 2001 we went on the Carnival Pride to the same destination that we will be going on this current cruise.Eastern Caribbean.
Linda
Old 01-09-2005, 12:25 PM

You know Nancy it is very disturbing when you are in public places and see people not washing up at all after going to the restroom.So even if I sing the tune and wash correctly the person that just left is leaving all her germs on the door handle and everywhere else she touches.So I agree...use towels to open those doors and handi wipes are a nessessity.You can pick up hurtful germs from anywhere...places you just don't think about...like a chair pulled out for you to be seated.We don't need to be paranoid but definitly need to be aware!!!!!
Linda

quote:
Originally posted by NancyN:
Linda and Kandl, It is so refreshing to see that the general public is finally understanding that these outbreaks happen everywhere (not just a cruise ship issue) and that it if you frequent any public spaces, you are going to be exposed to such viruses. Kandl gives excellent advice - being proactive is your best defense against infection. Washing your hands thoroughly and often is the best preventive measure. I have a friend who taught me that many of us do not wash our hands properly, however. In order to do a good job we should sing The "Happy Birthday" song in its entirity in our minds as we wash/lather our hands with soap and by so doing have insured that we have taken the required amount of time to complete the task properly.
Nancy
Old 01-09-2005, 05:18 PM

I totally agree!!! One of my pet peeves is using a public restroom and watching others walk out without washing their hands (and often they are employees of an establishment). I am soooo tempted to make a comment to them.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-10-2005, 07:58 AM

I couldn't agree more. I host a good number of folks on every cruise and it drives me nuts when someone comes up to shake your hand and then starts coughing or complaining about how sick they are. I RUN to the restroom to scrub my hands.

Virtually every ship now has sanitizer available as one enters the restaurant or buffet. I wash my hands constantly and am very aware when I may have been exposed to areas where the general cruise population may have touched and remember to isolate my hands from my face until I have had the opportunity to wash them.

This is the best way to avoid catching whatever is circulating on the ship.

Tom
Old 01-10-2005, 10:51 AM

I love it (this discussion)!!! My husband and son could not believe it when I told them I made recommendations to this site! They think I'm paranoid.. but I can say, I dont' remember the last time I had a cold or virus.

You guys are tickling me... I have the same pet peeves, thoughts, etc. re: responding when someone sneezes, coughs, or majorly sniffles around me!

Cruisingalong, you might want to wipe down the handles to/from your room, bathroom, closet, TV control box, and drawer handles if you do take anything. And you don't even need to take cleaners, like Clorox clean up stuff.. you can probably take those small alcohol pads they sell in K-Mart, Walmart for $1-$2 for 100 of them. They're really small, but full of alcohol to kill germs.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:06 AM
I sailed on NCL in September, and they had stands of hand disinfectant at the entry to every eating room and as you left and entered the ship. I also carried a small bottle with me.

Closed Thread