Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2005, 09:54 AM

We booked a somewhat last minute cruise (Grandeur of the Seas - Feb.19-26)through a local travel agent. The flights to New Orleans were included, through Royal carribean. Then when my daughter asked if her friend could come along and I presented this situation to the travel agent, she said there would be no problem accommodating her friend on the ship, but that finding a seat on the flight would be a huge problem. I suggested the possibility of finding the flights through a different company, whereby she told me that that would be impossible. I found that to be odd. Then I surfed the net and found this site, I read something about never booking the flights with the cruise line. I don't get it. What's going on?? Does my travel agent get a commission or what? In the end, my daughter's friend will not be coming with us because the agent could not find a seat through RC. even though we had seen several possibilities on the internet. Could someone please explain this? thanks.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:54 AM

We booked a somewhat last minute cruise (Grandeur of the Seas - Feb.19-26)through a local travel agent. The flights to New Orleans were included, through Royal carribean. Then when my daughter asked if her friend could come along and I presented this situation to the travel agent, she said there would be no problem accommodating her friend on the ship, but that finding a seat on the flight would be a huge problem. I suggested the possibility of finding the flights through a different company, whereby she told me that that would be impossible. I found that to be odd. Then I surfed the net and found this site, I read something about never booking the flights with the cruise line. I don't get it. What's going on?? Does my travel agent get a commission or what? In the end, my daughter's friend will not be coming with us because the agent could not find a seat through RC. even though we had seen several possibilities on the internet. Could someone please explain this? thanks.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:59 AM

It is possible that there were no flights available through the cruise line. Cruise lines reserve blocks of space on airlines well in advance for the air portion of their package. Usually when that blocked space is sold out - the cruise line will no longer offer air. If you know what airline and flights you will be using, you should have been able to see if air was available on your own and just book her as a cruise only passenger.

Discussions on this site have suggested that booking your air separately from the cruise line, flying in a day early and making sure to purchase trip protection through a third party insurer are the best options to protect yourself from unnecessary stress and travel mishaps.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-23-2005, 06:30 PM

The cruise lines block air at negotiated rates with the airlines, but the airline generally decides which flights they will provide for the cruise passengers (unless you do an air deviation). It is not uncommon for folks on the west coast using the cruise line's air for a cruise departing from Florida, to connect through Chicago, or some other airport that might have weather delays in the winter time.

While the cruise line arranges the air, they do not guarantee that you will make it to the ship. That is between you and the airline, as far as they are concerned.

You are always much better off taking charge of your own airline reservations to make sure that you and your luggage get there in plenty of time. I would never fly in for a cruise on the day of departure (unless there were multiple flights and it was a short distance. Even then, I would still go in the day before so that I can get a good night's sleep, have a nice breakfast and then make my way to the cruise terminal and be one of the first on the ship to start my vacation.

Hope that helps.

Tom
Old 01-24-2005, 12:49 PM

Thank you for your input. I know what to do next time. Luckily, I bought insurance - hopefully I won't need it.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:33 PM

The Grandeur is a great ship. You guys will have a wonderful cruise. Enjoy it and write a review of it when you return.

Tom

Closed Thread

Tags
airline, booking, cruise, lines, tickets